Tourtiere Recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourtiere Recipes?

Thought some of you divorcees might be able to offer up some good recipes.

I am particularly interested in the spice blend (I heard Allspice is good to add?).

Son doesn't eat turkey so I thought I'd try to make some alternate things for him to eat while I enjoy my favorite - turkey bun, cranberry, stuffing and turkey. Any ideas?

Me and the kids had a blast making lo mein (https://youtu.be/J3tCBVTgzLg) as well as salad rolls.

Tourtières... can't help, grandma took that secret recipe with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is a recipe that my mother now 90 had made for many years. Now I make it.

The filling will make 1 large and 1 small or 2 medium pies.
      40 g butter
      1tbsp veg oil
      1 large onion finely chopped
      1 large garlic clove minced
      450 g uncooked lean veal diced or ground. ( if you cannot find veal use lean ground beef)
      450 g uncooked pork diced or ground
      1/2 tsp ground cloves
      1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
      1/2 tsp ground savoury
      1 bay leaf crumbled
      3 tbsp sherry ( you can use red wine or brandy)
      325ml chicken broth
      3 medium potatoes
      1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
      Salt and pepper

Heat 15g of butter and the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat
      Add garlic and onion and cook 5 mins
      Increase heat slightly and add meat Cook untill pink
      Reduce heat to med low and add cloves, cinnamon, savoury, bay leaf, sherry and broth.
      Cook 25 mins stirring occasionally
      In the meantime peel and diced potatoes and rinse in cold water and drain
      Then Stir them into the meat and cook for 20 mins.
      Drain the meat potatoes mixture and set aside to cool then put into pie base
      Heat reserved liquid to boiling in a small saucepan, then Reduce the heat.
      Mix remaining butter with the flour until smooth and the. Are little balls of the. I turn and stir into the hot liquid, add the allspice, whisking until sauce thickens.
      Cook 5 mins
      Add salt and pepper to taste.
      Spoon over meat and potatoe mixture.
      Top with pastry dough crimping the edges to seal. Decorate with 2 dough leaves (always 2 for meat pies) use an egg and water glaze for,the top.

Cut a small hole in Centre to allow steam to escape and bake 400f 35 mins untill pastry golden brown.

I always make my own pastry using crisco and the recipe on the back. I will tell you my pastry is ledgenary but you can use premade pastry and it will work well.

Comment

Baked Five-Spice Chicken Wings

Marinade

1-1/2 tsp grated, fresh peeled gingerroot
        1-1/2 tsp minced garlic
        2 shallots, chopped
        2 tbsp soy sauce
        2 tbsp hot pepper sauce
        1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (Shaoxing) or sherry
        1 tbsp five-spice powder
        1 tbsp granulated sugar
        1/2 tsp salt
        1/4 tsp black pepper

Chicken

3 lbs chicken wings, about 14 to 16, wing tips cut off and discarded

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the marinade ingredients. Add the chicken wings and toss to coat. Seal the bag making sure to squeeze out as much air as possible. Marinate the chicken wings in the bag in the refrigerator for 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large, metal baking pan with aluminum foil. Spray the foil lightly with non-stick spray. Place the chicken wings in a single layer in the pan. Bake for 60 minutes or until the wings are cooked through. Serves 2 as a main dish or 4 as an appetizer.

Tip: These wings are also delicious grilled on the barbecue.

Comment

Steamed Chicken Dumplings With Soy-Sesame Dipping Sauce

Dumplings

1-1/2 cups finely chopped napa cabbage, blanched until just wilted and drained of all liquid
          3/4 lb ground chicken or pork
          2 tbsp soy sauce
          2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (Shaoxing) or sherry
          2 green onions, finely chopped
          1 tbsp sesame oil
          1 clove garlic, minced
          1/8 tsp salt
          1 lb round potsticker or gyoza wrappers (about 64 wrappers)
          3 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
          1-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided

Dipping Sauce

1/2 cup soy sauce
          1/4 cup sesame oil
          1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
          1 green onion, chopped
          2 tsp minced fresh gingerroot

Place the cabbage, chicken or pork, soy sauce, cooking wine, green onions, sesame oil, garlic and salt in a large bowl and mix well. Place 1 tsp of the filling in the middle of the wrapper. Brush the edges of the wrapper with a little water. Lift the two opposite edges of the circle and pinch them firmly together. The seam will be across the top of the dumpling. Working from the centre, pinch the wrapper together to make tightly sealed packet. Place on a waxed paper-lined tray and cover with a sheet of plastic wrap to prevent drying out. Continue with the remaining filling and wrappers.

Working in three batches, heat 1 tbsp oil in a large, non-stick skillet set over medium-high heat. Arrange 1/3 of the dumplings, bottoms down (seams up) in a single layer in the pan. Fry for 1 or 2 minutes until the bottoms are golden brown. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth, cover the skillet tightly with a lid, reduce heat to low and cook 5 minutes or until the dumplings are tender and most of the broth has been absorbed. Uncover the pan, turn the heat to medium and continue cooking until the liquid gone and the bottoms of the dumplings are well browned. Remove to serving platter and keep warm until ready to serve. Combine the dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl and serve. Makes approximately 64.

Comment

Sweet And Sour Pork

Sweet And Sour Sauce

5 tbsp granulated sugar
            3 tbsp white vinegar
            2-1/2 tbsp water
            3 tbsp ketchup
            1/2 tsp salt
            2-3 drops Worcestershire sauce
            3-4 drops red food colouring (optional)

Pork

oil for frying
            1 lb boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of fat, cut into bite-size pieces
            1 egg, lightly beaten
            1/2 cup cornstarch

Stir-Fry

1 tsp vegetable oil
            1/2 green pepper, diced
            1/2 red pepper, diced
            1/4 white onion, chopped
            1/2 cup diced pineapple

In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Set aside.

Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok or heavy skillet. Toss half of the pork into the egg and then dredge each piece of pork in cornstarch. add the pork to the hot oil and fry until golden brown and almost cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the pork from the pan with a slotted spoon and let drain on paper towels. Heat another 2 to 3 tbsp oil in the pan and repeat with remaining pork. Drain remaining oil from the pan. Reheat the pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp oil to the pan and stir-fry the peppers, onion and pineapple for 30 seconds. Add the sauce to the pan and cook until thick and bubbly. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the pork. Mix well and serve immediately. Serves 4.

Tip: Be sure to trim as much visible fat from the pork as possible.

Comment

Lettuce Wraps With Hoisin

Lettuce Wraps

1 tbsp vegetable oil
              1/2 tsp minced garlic
              1/4 cup finely diced white onion
              1/4 cup finely diced carrot
              1/4 cup finely diced red pepper
              1/4 cup finely diced green pepper
              1/4 cup finely diced water chestnuts
              1/4 cup finely diced celery
              1/2 cup chopped boneless, skinless chicken breast
              1/4 tsp black pepper
              1/4 tsp salt
              pinch of granulated sugar
              4 large, crisp Boston or iceberg lettuce leaves

Garnish

1/3 cup hoisin sauce
              chow mein or fried salad noodles (optional)

Heat the oil in a wok or heavy skillet set over medium-high heat. Stir-fry the garlic until fragrant but not browned. Add the onion, carrot, red and green peppers, water chestnuts, chicken, pepper, salt and sugar to the wok and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through. Transfer the chicken mixture to a serving bowl.

To serve, spoon 1/4 of the chicken mixture into the centre of each lettuce leaf, top with a little hoisin sauce and garnish with chown mein noodles, if using. Fold the lettuce around the mixture and enjoy. Makes 4 wraps.

Tip: This recipe doubles easily.

Comment

I use ground pork only and a clove of garlic, some all spice, ground cloves and nutmeg. I season it to taste but since Ive grown up with tourtierre I know how its supposed to taste. Its one of the things that made my partner fall in love with me and its his favourite holiday tradition we have

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X