X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had to post this...

So, so sad....

http://i.cbc.ca/1.2856772.1417526449...e-toddlers.jpg

I think that you meant to post the link to the story as well?

'The new normal' isn't easy for family of Sarah Turpin - Newfoundland & Labrador - CBC News

Comment

Oh, I posted the wrong link, sorry. You are right, STH! Thanks.

Still under impression of this article. Reading this, all these fights, all this crap seems to be so ridiculously insignificant. OMG!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mother View Post
        Oh, I posted the wrong link, sorry. You are right, STH! Thanks.

Still under impression of this article. Reading this, all these fights, all this crap seems to be so ridiculously insignificant. OMG!!!
        You're right about that ... we are so busy struggling through life's ups and downs - we forget how fragile life truly is. I'm going to go hug my son and my dogs now ...

It's a good thing that this young father has a strong support system to help him and his children get through this - family is everything.

Comment

Okay, I don't want to downplay how sad that story is, but I think I have my cynic's hat on today.

First, he's not trying to feed three children under three in that picture. He is SUCCEEDING in feeding three children under three. That is what single parents do, even if they are fathers.

Secondly, every parent needs life insurance. Honestly, while I do have sympathy for people who lose a loved one or their house burns down, etc, I have to kind of just shrug if I find out that they didn't have insurance. In a way, it lessens the impact of the tragedy for me somehow. Even if finances are tight, paying for that policy is essential.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
            Okay, I don't want to downplay how sad that story is, but I think I have my cynic's hat on today.

First, he's not trying to feed three children under three in that picture. He is SUCCEEDING in feeding three children under three. That is what single parents do, even if they are fathers.

Secondly, every parent needs life insurance. Honestly, while I do have sympathy for people who lose a loved one or their house burns down, etc, I have to kind of just shrug if I find out that they didn't have insurance. In a way, it lessens the impact of the tragedy for me somehow. Even if finances are tight, paying for that policy is essential.
            Rioe, you are so, sooo correct and I am telling you this because I know so much about the insurance working in this field for many years.

What shocks me every time it pops up in a conversation at work (!), where we do deal with this stuff on a daily basis - the response/excuses of the young colleagues not to buy life insurance - that they have no money for life insurance. OMG, people, are you for real? You can buy 10-20 year term coverage for 50 bucks or so, even less, depending on your age, gender, smoking status etc, etc, etc...! Many spend more $$ a month on beer and cigarettes and other crap.

I feel sooo sorry for this family but it was very irresponsible not to buy a life insurance coverage once their first child was planned (or was born) and I know it from years of experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post

I 100% agree. Insurance is very cheap. My partner and I have policies on both of us and pay under $50 a month and we have more than enough coverage in the event anything happens. There is no reason to not have insurance.

My family lost their house in 2013 due to a fire. Insurance covered their loss. If it wasn't for insurance they never would have been able to afford to rebuild. I know of another family who lost their house 2 years ago and had no insurance. They had to start over with no help and 2 years later still struggle due to it.

Sad, new reality for this family, sucks even more that he has to spend more time working than with his children, due to the lack of finances.

Comment

He is pretty lucky - his ex just died? No support payments?

My ex is still alive sucking 2/3 of my income away and I basically work and/or take care of kids all the time except for about a 4hrs/day after school otherwise there are in school.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post

My ex is still alive sucking 2/3 of my income away and I basically work and/or take care of kids all the time except for about a 4hrs/day after school otherwise there are in school.
                  Are you crazy or drunk?

Comment

As a teacher, one would have thought life insurance was a basic part of her benefit package?

Comment

Originally posted by MS Mom View Post
                      As a teacher, one would have thought life insurance was a basic part of her benefit package?
                      I am not too sure how it works with the teachers benefits plan but I heard that a teacher has to work some certain period of time between two maternity leaves in order to qualify for life insurance. I am guessing the time difference in this case is a year or so, may be not sufficient enough. I may be wrong.

Comment

Once I started to work I had life insurance at work (not much but enough for funeral costs) then I went and bought my own to have more coverage.

I will admit for fire insurance I wasn't as on top of it as I should have been. I was at work and heard about a fire in the town I had just moved from 2 weeks previous. As the day went on and more details were released, yep you guessed it, it was the converted school house that had 6 apartments that I had lived in. The fire started in the laundry room and spread quickly. When I got home the ex had already heard about it and had a guy coming over to get tenants insurance. Never been without fire insurance since. The people there lost everything including pets. No one was in the building so by the time it was noticed, it was too late.

Comment

He is pretty lucky - his ex just died? No support payments?...
                          This couple was married, and intact. They were not seperated at all. Try to comprehend the facts, before making foolish statements.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
                            This couple was married, and intact. They were not seperated at all. Try to comprehend the facts, before making foolish statements.
                            and cruel and offensive

Comment

They were not separated, they were married. And from the sounds of it, she was the primary breadwinner, or at least, her teaching income was a big part of their budget.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X