Child custody of child from wedlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child custody of child from wedlock

Reading through some pages submitted by Google, it appears as though a child conceived out of wed lock is automatically granted full custody to the mother.

Does this also mean the mother has sole custody of the child? Also, if the father is not really involved in the child's life, can the mother just get up and move anywhere she wants without his consent even though his name is on the child's birth certificate?

Thanks in advance.

How old is the child?
    Is the father involved in the child's life?
    Is the father paying support?

Generally speaking, the mother can do anything she wants unless the father opposes it.

Comment

Child is 17 months and father is not paying child support.

Father is also not actively involved in the child's life.

Comment

Father can't have it both ways. Either he pays child support (as he should) and has some say in what happens with the child, or he avoids paying child support (which is pretty sleazy) and has no role in the child's life. (Remember that Mom could come after him for child support at any time - the child has the right to financial support from both parents).

Comment

I disagree with the above.

Access and CS are not linked. The father could have access and not pay CS (however I would assume the mother would be in court to get CS established) or the father could be ordered to pay CS and have no access to the child, for whatever reason.

Either way, Father owes CS regardless of access, unless he signed away parental rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X