Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any gluten-free baking ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any gluten-free baking ideas?

I'm the sucker for son's event and he has requested a gluten-free item.

I have rice flour!

what the heck is xanthum gum?

I've browsed some internet sites, however, I am not really into experimenting and would prefer someone offer up some tried-and-true recipes.

Do I have to buy special chocolate chips?

I have cashews!

I read one recipe where it calls for special grain-fed cow butter. OMGod that's soooo extreme! I don't mind buying some ingredients but it would be nice if I knew I would use them again (xanthum gum?)

Easy peasy recipes welcome

The superstore chains have gluten free stuff. Ive made gluten free cupcakes. Or bulk barn has mixes if you have them. Buy a mix, the recipes online have ridiculous ingredients!

Comment

I got this! GF for the last 4 years. the best wheatless choc cake ever, I add some raspberries on top and dust lightly. Please don't use GF mixes, they taste like crap (we won't eat them) and this is so easy:

Flourless Chocolate Cake

1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
      1 cup (2 sticks) plus 3 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
      1 1/4 cup sugar
      6 eggs
      1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
      1 tablespoon milk
      1 tablespoon honey
      1/4 teaspoon gluten-free pure vanilla extract

Method:

Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray, then line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper. Spray the paper with cooking spray, too, then set the pan aside.

Place two-thirds (8 ounces) of the chocolate and 1 cup (2 sticks) of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Stirring often, melt chocolate with butter until completely blended. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. (Alternatively, you may use your microwave to melt the butter with the chocolate, if desired). Add sugar and mix well. Add eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Sift cocoa into bowl and stir until just blended.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until cake has risen and top has formed a thin crust. The cake should be just firm in the center when done. Cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto a plate, removing sides of springform pan. Remove and discard parchment paper and set cake aside to cool completely.

Meanwhile, make the chocolate glaze. Melt remaining 4 ounces chocolate and 3 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat, then stir in milk, honey and vanilla. Set aside to cool slightly.

When cake has cooled, pour glaze onto the center. Using a spatula or the back of a spoon, very gently smooth glaze along the top and sides of the cake. Chill cake, uncovered, for 30 to 60 minutes before serving to set the glaze and make the cake easier to slice.
      Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Thanks so very much to everyone.

Can I use regular chocolate chips or do they have to be special?

I know soy sauces have gluten in them but I didn't know vanilla extract did. Thanks for that. I assume I can get at superstore?

Comment

Regular chocolate chips.

If you are going to be cooking GF in the future, don't use soya - use tamari sauce (in the specialty aisle), but it really isn't even any more expensive, it is just not in the regular food aisles and you'll have to look for it. Tastes exactly the same as soya.

Ditto with the vanilla extract. You probably know if you bake enough, when you buy the bottle of extract, you'll have it for the next year, so not a huge investment of dineros. And every superstore should carry it in their specialty aisles - we were in Calgary not that long ago and I didn't have any issues finding what I needed.

but seriously Arabian - try the cake above! It's been a hit everywhere I've taken it.
          Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Working in autism, I cook gluten-free quite a bit.

For myself during the holidays, I enjoy Port Wine Chocolate Truffles

1. Coarsely chop chocolate (if using bar) or simply place chocolate chips in a large bowl.
            2. Pour heavy cream into a small sauce pot and bring to a simmer over low heat. Stir often.
            3. Add butter to simmering cream and stir until melted. Add vanilla extract, stir, and remove from heat.
            4. Pour cream over chocolate and whisk until chocolate is completely melted.
            5. Add red wine and port wine to chocolate and stir to combine.
            6. Pour chocolate ganache into a 8×8 baking dish and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
            7. Once ganache is firm, use two spoons to form into medium sized balls. Don’t worry about them being perfectly round, you will roll them later. Refrigerate chocolates again until firm, another hour or so.
            8. Once firm, use hands to roll into balls. Roll truffles in sugar to coat and place in fridge until ready to serve.
            9. About 15 minutes before serving, remove from fridge and roll in another coating of sugar.

They're fantastic!!

Port Wine Chocolate Truffles | Gabby's Gluten-Free

Comment

Oh yeah, ODF holiday cookie (recipe) exchange! Love it!

I made Peanut Butter Truffles recently and wow were they good! Kids have a lot of fun helping roll it into balls. I had evaporated milk to spare and I was trying to figure out what to do with it when I was in Bulk Barn and saw lemon baking chips that came with a lemon fudge recipe that called for it. That was even MORE awesome.

Comment

I also make a neat recipe but it has peanut butter. One package butterscotch chipits, one cup pb. Melt together in large pot. When completely melted, cool a bit and stir in one package of coloured marshmallows. Pour into wax paper lined 9 x 9 or 8 x 8 pan and chill until hard. Those suckers are so good!!!

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                  what the heck is xanthum gum?
                  Xanthan Gum is a binding agent to make all of the elements of the recipie stick together. It replaces gluten which is the binder in traditional gluten-included recipies.

We had a problem finding Xanthan Gum in a regular grocery store. We found the Bob's Red Mill brand at Longo's. You should only need about a teaspoon or two per recipie.

Good luck with your baking!

Comment

You can buy GF finger snaps and grind them up and use them as a base for any number of recipes.

My favourite is
                    1 cup Gf honey grapham crumbs
                    1 cup sliced almonds
                    1 tin condensed milk
                    1/2 tsp salt

Mix together and place in a 7x7 coil lined grease tin

Pack 1/2 cup sliced on top

Cook 325 for 20 mins, drizzle with dark chocolate

I cook celiac all,the time

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X