This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think

Im going to tie my ring to a balloon and let go of it, and let it float away just like my marriage did. Let go of the ring and let go of the past.
    SHJ

Comment

I tossed it - it didn't feel right for someone else to wear it - being bad luck and all.

Comment

How did you toss it? just threw it out. I want to get rid of the ring but want something ceremonial , like springheeled jack with his balloon. Or having a long walk, listening to music that means something to me and then letting it go over a bridge or something. I don't know. Still haven't done much with it.

Comment

nope no ceremony - that's what got me into this mess in the first place. I didn't want to put anymore energy of what was something I had hope it would be.

Comment

When we first separated, I couldn't bring myself to take mine off (I'm pretty sure he had his off before he ever told me he was leaving). When I finally realized there was no hope of a reconcilliation, it broke my heart to take them off. I put them in a box along with all the other momentos of our life together and placed the box out of sight (out of mind). I had no idea what I would ever do with the contents of the box. Seeing them only brought me to tears but, I couldn't even consider getting rid of them.

Months later (14 to be exact), I was cleaning out my storage area and came across the box. I felt.....nothing. Whatever feelings that had once been attached to those rings were long gone. I do still have my engagement ring as it was once my Mothers (tucked safely away in my jewelry box). We didn't have any children together (although he was a step-father to my 3) so I didn't concern myself with saving the wedding band. I sold the wedding band to a local pawn shop just before Christmas last year. The gentleman at the pawn shop was a little leary of buying the ring. I told him either he bought it or it was headed for the bottom of the lake

I found the whole experience to be very liberating.

Comment

I kept mine - it serves as a reminder of where I've been in my life and where I intend to go

Comment

I pawned mine and ordered pizza.

Comment

Beltane, you made my day with this one. I'm now thinking if I pawn both my wedding & engagement ring it could be Chinese take out tonight .

Comment

still have 'em

I still have mine in my jewellery box - not for any great sentimental reasons, more cause I don't have any other ideas of what to do with them!

I also have his - he gave it to me once when he was p.o.'d at me about something ... and since I bought it, I kept it!

I took them off the day I asked him to leave - it was the third (and final) time we seperated ... and I think taking my rings off meant to me that is was really, finally over.

Comment

I had a client who took his wedding ring and had them melted down into earrings for his daughter.

Comment

For my first divorce, I kept the rings (all three) for my oldest daughter. I kept my wedding dress for her, why not the rings to go with it? I kept them all these years. She's now engaged. You know what she said? She loved them for sentimental reasons, but wouldn't wear them because she didn't want to jinx her marriage.

Comment

My mom gave me her wedding band from my parents wedding. They got divorced when I was 8. I don't wear it much, but it's a reminder that my mom and dad did love each other at one time and I came from love, not some mistake.

Comment

So does a ring really symbolize anything for a woman?

Found this snipit on another board from long ago ... I'm posting it cause it caused a reaction of truth in my being ... need confirmation from the ladies!

"This is just my personal opinion:

PUT YOUR WEDDING RING ON RIGHT NOW AS IN THIS INSTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is such a potent image. We guys might say, Oh its just a ring, a symbol, it doesn't really mean anything. I bet every woman on this board would disagree. In their feeling world, symbols are everything. You and I could talk to our wives until we're blue in the face and we wouldn't get through to them as much as just seeing the ring still on our hand does. It says something so loud and yet so silent. Again my opinion is put it back on right now! It doesn't matter what she does with hers--whether its on or not (although if I were to see my W with hers on I would scream with joy) but the fact that they've taken theirs off and we still wear ours I will wager speaks to a woman's heart in a way a guy just cannot even comprehend! "

Comment

Hi everyone

Hello here...

Comment

Well, I never actually went through with the wedding, I chickened out. But there was a ring involved. I have it, I put it in my "special" jewelry box. It's funny, I broke up with the guy 6 years ago and he just came over yesterday! He won't let go.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X