This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this ever end! LOL

Yeah, I know, I have not been here in a while ... missed you ALL bigtime!!!!

Moving on in life, in a much better place emotionally today that I was 2 years ago ... what a ride!

Ex and I are going back at the Custody Issue - she's agreed to 50/50 custody - however, it's the benefits and such that may be a stumbling block.

After having talked to an accountant - if the sep. agreement is worded that both parents have sole custody then both are entitled to the equivalent to spouse support tax credit of - think its 8000?

8000 credit is nothing to sneeze at - in the long run, it makes a difference -

I had agreed if we went to soul custody to take advantage of the credits - that the child support would be agreed and determined as if it were 50/50.

With provisions of course that kids stay in the same school, same geographical area --

I think she has a trust issue and a valid concern that we cannot predict the future and our actions.

She has a good point on risk - but life is fraught with risk - I could cease to exist tomorrow, loose my job, walk away

We are going to mediation - I'm just trying to figure out how to work this out so that once you take into account everything - BOTH parties come out with a fair and just arrangement.

Help, from my good friends on this board would and is definately welcomed!

Hubby

Hey hubby,

After having talked to an accountant - if the sep. agreement is worded that both parents have sole custody then both are entitled to the equivalent to spouse support tax credit of - think its 8000?
    Only one parent could claim the tax credit per child regardless. If two children are involved; a simple solution is to have one parent claim one child and the other parent claim the other child.

In situations such as you described no child support can be paid to maintain eligibility for the equivalent to spouse amount tax credit.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X