Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:51 PM

cranberry is on a distinguished road
Default Just an odd question

Oddball question but has anyone ever invited your lawyer to your home? On a weekend? While the kids are there?

I am not looking to make an issue of this with the ex. He lives in his own world and definitely dances to his own music. I am simply curious what the hive mind may think.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:15 PM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

That's weird.

Some people get weirdly close to their family lawyer. I don't get that. This is person is profiting off your misery.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:16 PM

But wait- if your kids were there- why would the lawyer be there? That's all kinds of wrong. You know- keeping the conflict separate, etc etc etc.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:39 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
Oddball question but has anyone ever invited your lawyer to your home? On a weekend? While the kids are there?

I am not looking to make an issue of this with the ex. He lives in his own world and definitely dances to his own music. I am simply curious what the hive mind may think.
Its a bit odd. Its even more odd that the lawyer would do that.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:57 PM

cranberry is on a distinguished road

Thanks folks! I guess I was checking to make sure that I wasn't off my rocker 😉 you can bet that I am concerned our boys will be present. We reached a settlement on Friday and he was definitely not happy with it. Neither am I but its about the kids, not me. Maybe its a thank you dinner? I will never know (I hope), just glad to see your comments.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:58 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

? We have made friends with certain clients. They are invited to our dinner parties, as are we to theirs. How is this strange.? It is NOT all about you.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:41 PM

Stillbreathing will become famous soon enough

Not a smart thing to do. If you go back to court for whatever reason and have to go to trial his lawyer can be called as a witness. My ex’s and mine attended at our farm when ex was removing a piece of furniture that belonged to his mom. The judge had ordered that both lawyers attend. My lawyer was pissed as she said that if it went to trial both lawyers could now be called as witnesses and therefor could no longer represent either one of us.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:48 PM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

I once asked if I could bring my kids to the lobby for a meeting with the lawyer (babysitter fell through) and she told me in no uncertain terms that the kids were not to enter the building if I wanted to keep her as a lawyer.

In retrospect, I get her point
Old 10-01-2019, 11:16 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

I guess it all depends... I mean I’ve dealt with investors and life insurance brokers who come to our house so we don’t have to lug kids to their offices, when we were looking at houses to purchase our realtor came to our place many times to discuss business... there are many professionals who do “house calls”... over the years we’ve become friends with the guy we invest with and our broker for life insurance... it happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdreamy View Post
? We have made friends with certain clients. They are invited to our dinner parties, as are we to theirs. How is this strange.? It is NOT all about you.
I've made friends with clients too. But I think family law is different. I'd liken it more to a doctor/patient relationship. There needs to be really clear professional boundaries.