Post secondary and OSAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post secondary and OSAP

Just confirming that the ex should have included the child support in the income for OSAP ? clearly didn't and Im not sure what the ramifications would be , I told her she should have ...

CS is not income. Spousal support is.

For OSAP the child puts in the income of the parent they live with primarily. That income comes from their taxes.

All the income does is determine how much grant money versus loan the kid gets.

Comment

I just called OSAP and they have advised me that yes you need to report it
      its under non taxable income , so yes you must disclose this , regardless of how it is paid , enforcement or not , its to be reported , she advised me that there is line specifically ,

so please add it to your applications !

Comment

Child support is reported if the RECIPIENT receives it. Meaning your ex is receiving cs and is applying for OSAP.

If your CHILD is applying they do not include it as income.

Comment

What does it matter to you what kid puts down on OSAP. It has no impact on what you pay. Kids portion of the expense is their responsibility and they can use loans to pay it. Having a lower income from parent is a benefit as the grants are increased for low income kids.

For someone who was posting about not knowing what their kid is doing you are focusing on the wrong things.

Comment

Im sorry that was the information I was given , its called honest as perhaps this person I speak of isn't , great for the child yes ...but I am only going by what they stated to me over the phone , its confusing on the website , given each situation on here might not be as straight forward as the question may be
            this also comes from the same person who stated I needed to report my income on it !

perhaps disclosing the entire situation might have given light on reasons here , but i suppose negative or a conclusion on my parenting or what I may be focusing on might not be a fair judgment

Is it fair that a parent not have anything to do with child based on the other parents alienation .... not fair at all and rather a very hurtful situation

I guess i have been given the wrong information twice now on this matter

Comment

Originally posted by bestway21 View Post
              Im sorry that was the information I was given , its called honest as perhaps this person I speak of isn't , great for the child yes ...but I am only going by what they stated to me over the phone , its confusing on the website , given each situation on here might not be as straight forward as the question may be

this also comes from the same person who stated I needed to report my income on it !

perhaps disclosing the entire situation might have given light on reasons here , but i suppose negative or a conclusion on my parenting or what I may be focusing on might not be a fair judgment

Is it fair that a parent not have anything to do with child based on the other parents alienation .... not fair at all and rather a very hurtful situation

I guess i have been given the wrong information twice now on this matter

Your previous thread was about paying for a child who was not in school. Were you provided proof they are in school full time?

All of the other stuff is really not relevant to you. Your obligation is to pay support if they are in school and a share of the expenses when known.

What they reported to OSAP and how they fund their share really isn’t needed. As far as not being given any info, the only thing you need is proof of the expenses and proof of loans and grants. Demanding info and arguing over what they put on applications is really unnecessary and will only increase the conflict.

Comment

Thank you rockscan
                No nothing was provided but I am getting all of my information in place
                this individual hasn't provided anything asked for yet excepts support which I dont mind paying as I have for almost 21yrs
                Its sad how demands are made to me , I comply and when asked for anything I get nothing

I have two other children , loving relationship and no issues with the mother , this has been difficult and very unfair

My ex squeezes all she can , also to the point of not disclosing her income from other sources ..this is why I am pretty sure she doeskin provide me with things I ask , otherwise what's the problem ?
                provide what is needed and lets move on

Dont get me wrong your input on here is extremely helpful , but after several calls I was told yes to reporting that for the parent income
                I need to have my facts in order for everything in case things come up

The best situation is non conflict and trust me I dont want this in any way , thus i have been paying and still not certain

Thank you again for all you do on here

Comment

Don’t trust all the information from a provincial call center and honestly, your posts are confusing so they probably didn’t understand it.

You aren’t the first or the last parent to get demands and then silence. Focus your energy on what is important and stop trying to force stuff. If she provided proof the kid is in school, pay the support. WHEN she provides receipts tell her you won’t be paying anything until you receive proof of her income and the kids sources of funding. Period.

If they want to lie or withhold info to others thats their business. It only benefits you when you need to prove they have a history of lying. Even then its not necessary. In my husbands case the lawyer cares only about the expenses receipts, OSAP award info and the income from the ex’s tax forms. Nothing else matters.

You are going to exhaust yourself trying to control them. No receipt no pay its as simple as that.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X