This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• equity law

so i just got out of a common law relationship..i am on the mortgage and the title of the house..my lawyer said i am intitled to half the equity of the house if i am being bought out..now my ex is saying that isnt true because i didnt pay as much as him. He says there is the law of equity that overrules common law..is this true? he is also now saying that he can charge me for taking care of the cats while i find a place to stay. even tho he offered to look after them when he broke up with me.

he can charge you for looking after the cats if he wants, unless you have a written agreement with him that he will look after them free of charge. He could also use the excuse that you left the cats so that they are now his, something to be wary off. Is there a friend or relative that could look after them instead?? If you decide to leave them there then get a contract stating the you will pay so much for kennel costs and that you retain ownership of the cats and this is a short term thing. He may just try and use the cats as a way to stick it to you.

As for the house, I have a feeling that he is not right but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
      he can charge you for looking after the cats if he wants, unless you have a written agreement with him that he will look after them free of charge. He could also use the excuse that you left the cats so that they are now his, something to be wary off. Is there a friend or relative that could look after them instead?? If you decide to leave them there then get a contract stating the you will pay so much for kennel costs and that you retain ownership of the cats and this is a short term thing. He may just try and use the cats as a way to stick it to you.

As for the house, I have a feeling that he is not right but I could be wrong.
      Most likely the morgage and all other instruments are registered as tennants in common. Thereby, making it equal ownership unless some clause was added at the time of purchase that delegated otherwise.

Nonetheless, other corollary consideration such as unjust enrichment and or spousal support prevails depending on the circumstances of the relationship.
      Last edited by logicalvelocity; 01-11-2010, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X