This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment Insurance?

My spouse basically works 10 months out of the twelve and has the summer off ... she works for a college. When the kiddies are off, so is she.

During the period when she IS off, she would/is entitled to Employment Insurance ... totaling probably about a few grand, not much really. She chooses NOT to claim it as it is too much of a hassle. Can this amount not be inputted to her gross when calculating Child support and all ...

Hubby

.. Hubby, from what I know it would make no difference in calculating Child Support. Now if she were claiming spousal support then they would take that in consideration.
    One think that should be reformed is when a parent sees their children on there holidays, this amount should be deducted from the monthly child support payment. For example, I had my children for two weeks, it cost me food, travel, and all other necessities to have them with me. Why should I pay my ex when she didn't have them? I know this has happened in other parts of the world, they have allowed the deduction. It makes sense.

Comment

FPI,

Employment Insurance is a 'source of income' and as such, I can't figure why they would not add it?

It's like saying, you know, I can earn this much, but I choose not too?

All sources of income are important in figuring out child support ... especially when one can prove that those incomes are a regular occurance based on the employment terms.

Hubby

Comment

First of all, I know that EI can be a hassle...but to NOT apply for it is beyond my comprehension! A few grand put into mutual funds over the years can really add up eh!

In any event, I would think that EI that is NOT being claimed would definitly make a difference to the amount she should be contributing to child support. In turn, this would make a difference to the amount you would be paying as well. She is paying into EI 10 months of the year, thus lowering her income. As a result, you would end up paying more for your share of the child support.

What is your stand on her not claiming her EI benefits? Do you think she should be claiming it? If she is adament about continueing to not claim her benefits...perhaps you could simply offer her the amount of child support based on her financial situation as though she were claiming it. Then it would be up to her to do as she wishes. Claim or not claim. I don't think you should have to pay more just because she feels it's too much of a hassle.

How are things going between you both now hubby? Are you negotiating in an amicable way? I hope it goes well for you!

GDGM

Comment

She is all gong ho to find a house and get out. We do our best, I have my days where i think it best to give her the kiddies and say heres half my check, good luck ... those feeling quickly pass though when I am in the presence of my children.

I may have lost love when it comes to my wife, but nothing can take away the love you receive from your children.

I'm hoping that physcial seperation will help our cause, only time will tell.

There are some nights I wake in the night, begin talking with Jesus and pray, and then gently fall back into unconsciousness.

I do my best to cope and continue to try and inspire others in similar predicaments, I'm such the optimist ... always believe in the best outcome, even in a bad situation.

Thanks for asking.

Hubby

Comment

It seems that I am starting to find spiritualty through all of this, so I understand what you are saying. Today I was as close to a nervous breakdown as I'd ever been, after the horrible call with ex. The stress is unbearable. The panic and worry about my son is enough to make any man crazy, but somehow, after a while of thinking and making myself sick with the negativity, I had an epiphany. I will no longer allow this woman to take my power. I will no longer allow her to cause me to lose sleep. And I will no longer carry the negativity with me from the moment I wake up until I go to bed. I repeated this affirmation to myself throughout the day...and it has lifted me.

It's funny, I came all this way to find a job....and about 3 months ago I met a woman who is a teacher in this small community. She is also from Newfoundland! ( we're everywhere!) We've been spending a lot of time together lately and I've come to have a wonderful friendship with her...and I feel the relationship growing.

I don't know exactly where it's going...but somehow it gives me hope for the future. It's good to know that even though I've been feeling so cynical, I know that there is still that man in me somewhere who is romantic and can enjoy and TRUST a woman. I never thought that would ever be possible again....

It's amazing that though all of this hardship, you learn so much about yourself. Even though the stress, I recognize myself now Never thought I ever would again.

Glad to hear that you are doing okay Hubby. You've got such a good attitude and I think it'll carry you far.

Oh and FYI...your posts are very uplifting. Thank you.

GDGM

Comment

GDGM,

In all the turmoil that one endures in life, one thing that absoulutely cannot be touched, tainted, damaged or influenced ... that is one's soul. I hold onto the fact that you can take all my worldly possessions away ... but there is ONE thing you cannot take ... my soul and it's love. Period!

Another thing is perspective. There are others in the world in MUCH more distress and danger ... north americans, in general have it good.

As you said, it's through hardships or through the 'fire' that one is shaped and made to be useful. What good is clay if it is shaped and is not put into the oven (fire) to harden to be made into a tool to be of use?

Heres the ironic thing about hardship, people tend to focus on the hardship and spend so much time in that state when they could and should focus on the desired outcome in life ... choice. Gods gift to you to manifest what you desire in life ... all throught the power of choice!

You said it, you've got the power! You really do! If you only knew.

I'm so happy you found a female friend, a miracle in itself. He (God) does not test your metal beyond it's break point. He knows your limit, takes you there for you to realize just how powerful you are.

Hubby

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X