Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support and clothing

Hello all,
    I currently pay child support (3 boys), they live with me 50%.

Who's responsible for purchasing coats, shoes, boots and back to school supplies, etc?

Thank you in advance.

You pay full support or offset?

If you pay full support, this covers clothing and day to day items such as school supplies. If you pay offset then you each pay to provide for your own homes. Things like school supplies can be split.

Comment

What is difference between offset and full?
      For extraordinary I pay 66% she pays 33% (Sports, camps)
      Last edited by Veryconfused; 09-11-2016, 05:48 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Full child support is you paying her the table guideline amount based on your income alone, which would typically be applied if she were unemployed or otherwise had no income or if she had the kids more than 60 percent of the time.

Offset is determined by calculating how much each of you would pay the other if the other had the kids more than 60 percent of the time. The person with the higher income pays the other the difference.

Example:

Parent A pays CS amount: $1000
        Parent B pays CS amount: $600

Parent A pays parent B the difference, $400.

Comment

Ah, we used the my support calculator (online) imputing the details of salaries and kids (age and 50/50 living arrangements)

Would that be my offset?
          Last edited by Veryconfused; 09-11-2016, 05:56 PM. Reason: update

Comment

If you are using both her income and yours to calculate the support amounts, then you are probably using offset (or a version of offset). Usually in offset situations each parent buys the items the child needs in his/her home (so you each buy some clothes, toiletries, etc). Big-ticket items like new winter coats and boots usually get split according to the income ratio (66%/33% in your case). Same with school supplies. However, this is not written in stone and different parents have different arrangements.

Long story short: if you are paying offset and kids are living half time with you, your ex should not be responsible for all the back-to-school costs - you should share them in some form.

Comment

clothing - everybody pays for a wardrobe at their home
              school supplies split the cost 50/50 (it is not a special expense)

Comment

Link is correct you are already paying support to equalize day to day. School supplies are day to day so it's 50\50. Extraordinary is above and beyond day to day.

Comment

It varies. My separation agreement says that ex and I split school costs and big clothing expenditures (over $100) according to income ratio (which means that I pay more than half the costs, as my income is higher). There are many ways to work it out - the point is that in an offset situation, you can't assume that everything is covered by child support.

Comment

Child Support and clothing

Originally posted by stripes View Post
                    It varies. My separation agreement says that ex and I split school costs and big clothing expenditures (over $100) according to income ratio (which means that I pay more than half the costs, as my income is higher). There are many ways to work it out - the point is that in an offset situation, you can't assume that everything is covered by child support.

I pay full child support and I still pay for clothing for child to have at my residence, purchase shoes, boots, and back to school items.

Of course, the custodial parent should pay but because I was asked to and had no choice by other parent, I pay and purchase the items, keep receipts and will use that in my claims against offset support.

In your case , by stuff for your kid to have at your house and buy back to school stuff. If it's offset then You're both paying child support. Don't buy clothes for her for moms house. That's not your responsibility. Gifts and presents are different story, you could buy those and let child take them where she wants them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If it is offset than you are both responsible for these expenses. You need to figure out a way to split them. People have different ways to do it. We split 'big ticket items' according to income, usually coats and boots, but there are few because we get so many hand me downs. Over the years we have learned to not be petty about small stuff.

Comment

i beg to differ with stripes and ele110.

Stripes has a seperation agreemnt that specifically stipulates something so that is an exception.

REGULAR, non-special expenses are covered by child support. It is only SPECIAL or daycare expenses which are split proportionately. If EVERY kids or almost EVERY kid needs something it is 50/50 by default.

I am basing this on Quebec Law but I tihnk it should be the same everywhere/

Comment

Child Support and clothing

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                          i beg to differ with stripes and ele110.

Stripes has a seperation agreemnt that specifically stipulates something so that is an exception.

REGULAR, non-special expenses are covered by child support. It is only SPECIAL or daycare expenses which are split proportionately. If EVERY kids or almost EVERY kid needs something it is 50/50 by default.

I am basing this on Quebec Law but I tihnk it should be the same everywhere/

I think child support can be compared to welfare. A payment for basic necessities of life, I.e., shelter, food, clothes, etc. It most certainly isn't a cash for life lottery ticket to the parent with primary care or lower income and We all know it can be especially when you're the one purchasing the clothing while the other parent is in "poverty" on welfare and needs more child support meanwhile she's out tanning and purchasing tattoos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by trinton; 09-13-2016, 10:19 PM.

Comment

OK....here is another crazy idea. How about people that have 50-50 just devise a simple system where clothes that comes with kid(s) just goes back in a big ziploc during exchange?

This past week, our son was attending a church function where the ex goes, I told her after to just keep the nice suit and shoes there for future events, as he already has another suit at my place. We have 50-50 parenting and I pay disparity in income CS

Comment

Because not every party is reasonable or cooperative.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X