This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fro

I filed my paperwork two weeks ago for child support payments to go through the FRO. Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to receive payment. I am waiting for April 1st payment.

Thanks

Hi Grace
    Happy Easter. FRO usually takes about a month or so to process the file. They'll always be behind about a month(if everything goes well). I'm still waiting for march payment but legally they have until 35 days after court-ordered due date, once file is processed and in order. I know I'll receive march payment next week but as of yesterday two months are due to me. THey are pretty good though.

Comment

Thank GK, and Happy Easter to you too!!!. It is going to be such a relief to let the FRO chase the ex for child support payments and not me. Looking back over the last 4 years, I have paid more in legal fees then I every got in child support.

I can budget that I have to wait a month for the FRO payments, if they can get them . Hope they have better luck them me.

Comment

Hi again Grace, It's easy to believe you spent more in legal bills then received child support. Just think, depending on the lawyer's rates,a FULL MONTH of child support could be gobbled up in a few hours----really pathetic. Anyway I won't get negative on you---I don't want to rain on your new-found court- free freedom. Enjoy it to the fullest! yes It'll be nice to have someone else on your side (to chase him) that you don't have to pay an arm and a leg to, every time you turn around.
        Hope your day was great. Bye

Comment

I don't want anything to rain on my new court freedom either. And I think it would be a bonus if the FRO could actually collect from him. But he owns his own business and I don't think since he does the payroll he's going to garnish his own wages. Time will tell.

I've heard good and bad about the FRO, looks like you have had a good experience with them.

Comment

ha he does the payroll???!!!. ...and the plot thickens. As far the my experience with FRO, yes it's been pretty good. I've also heard horror stories about them and, at this point, I'll believe any court/FRO story anyone tells (until proven wrong) because as we both know, crazy and absurb things happen in the court/ legal/gov't system.

Comment

Yes, GKTT although the ex has taken a temporary leave of absent from his company, he is still running it from his "home office" Between you & me there is another government system that needs an overhaul.

Enough said.

Comment

For me FRO took about 1-2 months to get set up and receiving your first payment But your ex's wages will not be garnished unless he stops making payments to the FRO himself and then he has to be three months in arrears before they will garnish his wages.
                I finally got that done and mine is stlll over $10000 in arrears since last summer and FRO will not enforce anything else right now because they dont want to upset him So I have had good and very bad times with the FRO......as I have no clue as to when I'll ever get that arrears paid up>

But all in all....at least you are protected by them to get your ex to pay.....and eventually if he doesnt it will catch up to him with the FRO behind you....Good Luck!!

Comment

OMG, $10,000 is a lot of money to be in arrears. Although child support is suppose to be the right of the child to have both parent financially supporting them, in my situation looking back I don't think it was worth the court battle in legal fees and in emotional stress.

I have two budgets made up, one with and one without child support. I'll stick to the tight without child support budget and wait and see if the FRO can get any payment from him .

Comment

sherif28
                    That's a crazy amount to owe, he'll be 'til the kids are senior citizens paying that off---PLUS INTEREST AND INCREASE OF LIVING!!!
                    My ex's wages were automatically deducted-he had a job and it was no secret where he worked so I sent papers to FRO and they garnished from the start, no waiting no guessing whether or when he was going to mess up, it was asap--Kind of preventative measure.

Comment

Do they actually charge the payer interest on arrears???

Comment

I was being facetious;to my understanding they don't get interest BUT every year FRO calculates, as per our court order, "the increase of living".I know someone who doesn't have tis stipulation in her court order and for 15-16 years the child support amount has remained the same, not accommodating increase of cost of living.
                        Be sure the court order stipulates the increase in cost of living; it adds up after awhile

Comment

Tell me about it. His wages are garnished 50% now but that is just covering spousal and child support and the FRO will not enforce anything to get my arrears paid up because they are garnishing already and gosh forbid make him upset .......but they have many other options.....suspend license etc......they just wont do it....it has become very frustrating.....but when I take him to court over stocks he hid in his financial statement he will have to stand before a judge and explain his arrears also..... He will get what comes to him...in the meantime I have budgeted to what I get now and figure when he is ordered to pay the arrears then it will be a bonus.....put it into RESP for my child. I no longer let these things upset me....as then it can affect my child, holding anger and resentment is very time consuming and he is just not worth it.....my child is and I do everything possible to provide her with a loving safe environment.......money is not everything.

Comment

Originally posted by sherif28
                            I no longer let these things upset me....as then it can affect my child, holding anger and resentment is very time consuming and he is just not worth it.....my child is and I do everything possible to provide her with a loving safe environment.......money is not everything.
                            You have a great attitude, sherif28. I admire that. I am grateful that I am employed and can put food on the table without child support payments, although it can be tight. There are recipients that can't.

Comment

I usually wouldn’t answer this but I find it unbelievable how some of you can feel so good about striping a man of almost everything he earns and live with yourselves. Sharif you claim FRO garnishes 50% of his wages, in my opinion that’s quite as bit what else do you want, “His Blood” . Do you work? If not why are you not making an attempt to become self-sufficient therefore, giving your share. This is why the current law is not working. Child support is something I feel strongly about, children should not have to suffer. Spousal Support should be limited to a time period. Why should the paying spouse be burdened with paying someone who he has no ties with anymore.
                              Remember one thing FRO cannot control is whether a person works or not. If you are not working, your ex can do exactly what your doing and stay home himself. I must give him credit at least he’s working and supporting his children. Again if your not working go out their and find a job, there are lots around.
                              You also mentioned that you do everything possible to provide your child with a loving environment, well a commend you. But remember as I said before both parents are responsible to support their children.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X