Criminal record vs Police record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criminal record vs Police record

My husband was arrested three months ago for assaulting me. He was charged with assault, mischief and forcible confinement.

He has offered to plead guilty to mischief and nothing else. He says because he can't have a criminal record for his job (he travels overseas quite a bit). The crown tells me that their offer for him to plead guilty assault includes the condition that the criminal record will be discharged he will only have a police record for three years.

Can anyone tell the difference between a criminal record and a police record?

When you are stopped by the police, they can call up certain information about you. On your police record you may find such things as arrests, tickets, charges laid against, etc.

A criminal record will not list all your run-ins with police, but will list charges you have been convicted of (or pled guilty to).

A conviction of a Federal Offence results in a Criminal record.

Being arrested and does not.

At least thats my understanding.

Hope that helps

Comment

Thanks, that does help!

Comment

Another thing to note is the criminal record is a matter of public record, while a police record is private. In other words you can go into a police station and get the criminal records on anyone you know about, but not the police records (at least not without consent).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X