This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depression Medication

Ok, I've had a few questions lately from some posters on here, and friends in RL about depression. I know it's a taboo subject, but it shouldn't be.

I'm, not afraid to admit that I am suffering from depression. I'm taking medication for it (Cymbalta) and I am finding it to be a miracle drug! I fought not taking one for about 6 months, but after our OCL disclosure in October I finally admitted to myself that things were not going to get any better until I got better.

I've been on 2 others (effexor and celexa) and they worked too. But I quit both of those after about 6 months, when I felt better. I was on low doses of both, and there were very few withdrawal symptoms.

Honestly, if you are feeling down (and we all probably do...divorce is crappy), I urge you to talk to your doctor. My depression is "situational". My doctor fully expects that I won't need this medication in another year, when the divorce situation is under control. You may be in the same boat. My depression held me back from moving forward. Please don't let it do that to you too.

Compared to 3 months ago, today my life is AMAZING! Most of the issues are resolved, I'm productive at work again and I've started dating. Now that I've burst the depression bubble, I am my old (beloved) self again!

Fantastic post! Also remember that there are support groups out there, for depression And often, another helpful thing is as simple as forcing yourself outside for a half-hour walk, a trip to the grocery store, anything with human interaction!

Comment

Thanks. We all need a little help sometimes. It doesn't make you weak.

The strongest people I know (myself included ) know how to ASK for that help. You aren't doing yourself (or your kids) any favours by trying to "tough it out". I should know.

Comment

I always said that the proper combination and dosage of beer, antidepressant/anti-anxiety drugs and cognitive behavior therapy can make wonders.

Comment

Great post - and some fantastic comments as well (about therapy, exercise, etc..). I'd also be one to throw my hat in the ring that I've needed medication in the past as well. Whatever gets you through this incredibly annoying process lol

Comment

I also applaud you on your post billiechic. I would also like to add that a peripheral effect of several anti-depressants is an anti-anxiety effect. My separation brought on both terrible depression and anxiety as well as intense insomnia. Due to the insomnia, I was prescribed remeron which is basically an A/D and sleeping pill rolled into one. My depression and anxiety are both managable now and I don't plan on staying on the meds long term...they are just helping me get through this period of my life.
            If you are going through depression and/or anxiety, please talk to your doctor. If the anxiety is really bad, make sure you mention to your Dr that you don't want any A/D's that have a stimulant effect. For example, the apparent latest and greatest A/D is the SSRI Cipralex but I tried it before remeron and my anxiety went through the roof. On furthur research, I discovered it has a stimulant effect which may be fine for somebody with depression alone but not for someone with anxiety also.

Comment

As an aside, what did you do for insomnia? I suffer from it and a snoring spouse...

Comment

Remeron actually has an anti-histamine effect. It is often prescribed for depression with insomnia. It's like having a benadryl.

Comment

Cipralex..that's what I was on last year (not Celexa). Yes, it had the same effect on me. That's the one that caused the heart palpitations. They weren't bothersome, I just felt my heart racing when it shouldn't have been. Rather, I think when I went off it my anxiety level went through the roof, as it was no longer controlled. That one also made me too relaxed.

Just remember that every medication works differently in each person. What works for me may not work for you. Sometimes you have to try a few. I tried 3, my ex tried about 5 different ones (hence the confusion about which ones I took).

I had to share this, even if it helps just one person who needs it. Very few people would talk to me about depression until I admitted that I had it. Then people came out of the woodwork. You aren't alone.

Comment

Insomnia..that's the reason I stopped taking the Cipralex.

I had a bit with this one (Cymbalta) but doc gave me a few non-addictive sleeping pills for when it was bad. I've only taken 3 half pills and I'm sleeping much better now. Don't need anything as long as I don't have a 4 year old kicking machine in my bed.

Cymbalta is also used for diabetic neuropathy (nerve pain) so it's had the added benefit of taking away the slight numbness in my hands I was feeling as a result of my MS.

Comment

I have a snoring spouse also . Just go to your docs and ask for a non - addictive sleeping pill .
                      I cut mine in 1/2 and take a couple of times a week . I'm unconscious in about 1/2 an hour

Comment

As you probably know, it takes at least 4-6 weeks to get the full effects of the A/D and yes like you, cipralex worsened my insomnia so that I actually went back to my Dr and asked for a non-stimulating A/D.
                        I'd like to re-emphasise what billiechic said about each A/D working differently for different people. I have a friend who went through the same thing as me, went on Cipralex and said it worked wonders, no insomnia. Just be prepared to give the med 4-6 weeks and if it's not working, try another one.
                        Insomnia and divorce/separation is a godawful combination. Lying in bed everynight with negative thoughts racing out of control is debilitating in the long run. You don't have to suffer needlessly. There is nothing wrong with getting some short-term help and you wouldn't believe the number of people that have taken A/D's. I've been very open with my friends about using them and I am surprised by the number of them that have admitted to me that they have also used them at some time in their life.

Comment

lol...you reminded me of parent-teacher interview this year...catholic board...

With suicide in the news this fall, we had a frank discussion with our son about it...told him that my uncle had committed suicide, and the thing to always remember was that there are options, and people to talk to; even if those people are not mom and dad...

I guess he raised it at school, because principal was advised and it was raised with us the following day as an "inappropriate subject" in class...boy oh boy, did I ever disagree!!

Comment

I was the snoring spouse. Any help for me?

Comment

NOTHING works as good as GETTING IT OUT!!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X