This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorcemate

I'm representing myself in my case, but when I had a lawyer, he provided a Divorcemate printout that my lawyer, her lawyer and the judge accepted as the basis for a temporary support order. Now, my ex and I are both self-representing and circumstances on annual income have changed and I just want a new printout with the new calculations. It's as simple as changing a number, pressing a button and printing the results.

The calculation from Divorcemate has significantly different results than mysupportcalculator.ca (in a bad way), so I want to stick with that. I've contacted about 10 lawyers that offer unbundled services and either they don't respond to my emails or calls or they just won't do it, let alone offer a price. I even tried to contact Divorcemate to try and purchase their software but, of course, they only sell to lawyers.

So here goes...does anyone know a law office that will input the number and press the button?

Hey,

I have been through exactly what you are going through. The short answer is yes.

The long answer is every lawyer will do it for a fee of course. The old saying of you get what you pay for is true in this case. Most lawyers will run through it without really doing it properly for about $250.00. An excellent lawyer will take their time and charge about $400.00. I found one who did a decent job for $300.00 but I had to push him to input all my info. It should take minimum 2 hours.

Pm me if you want more info,

Hawk

Comment

does anyone know a law office that will input the number and press the button?
      Yes, although I expect you will be charged an hourly fee for whatever time you need.

If you would like contact information, please send me a message.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
        Hey,

I have been through exactly what you are going through. The short answer is yes.

The long answer is every lawyer will do it for a fee of course. The old saying of you get what you pay for is true in this case. Most lawyers will run through it without really doing it properly for about $250.00. An excellent lawyer will take their time and charge about $400.00. I found one who did a decent job for $300.00 but I had to push him to input all my info. It should take minimum 2 hours.

Pm me if you want more info,

Hawk

Seriously, 2 hours ???
        My lawyer did it in 5 mins in the court house, on the Duty Council's Laptop ta boot !!! Could explain a few things perhaps....
        But seriously, is there a major difference between what is input into Divorcemate versus MySupportCalculator ?

Comment

My lawyer did it in 5 mins in the court house, on the Duty Council's Laptop ta boot
          It depends on the complexity of the matter, how many different scenarios need to be accounted for and the ages/retirement plans of the parties.

A simple calculation can be done quickly - but if the simplification sees a shift of hundreds of dollars per month in comparison to a more thorough accounting, it is worthwhile to pay attention to the details.

Comment

Originally posted by Porthopeman View Post
            Seriously, 2 hours ???
            My lawyer did it in 5 mins in the court house, on the Duty Council's Laptop ta boot !!! Could explain a few things perhaps....
            But seriously, is there a major difference between what is input into Divorcemate versus MySupportCalculator ?
            Mysupportcalculator has about what 10 possible inputs?

DivorceMate has about 100 +

I garauntee you are paying too much. Read the child and spousal support guidelines and ask yourself if you inputed all the possible deductions in the 5 minutes it took your lawyer to do such a thourough job lol

In my case, I caught a $550 per month error by my lawyer....

Hawk

Ps - if I save you some money feel free to let everyone else know

Comment

Originally posted by Hawk View Post
              Mysupportcalculator has about what 10 possible inputs?

DivorceMate has about 100 +

I garauntee you are paying too much. Read the child and spousal support guidelines and ask yourself if you inputed all the possible deductions in the 5 minutes it took your lawyer to do such a thourough job lol
              Could you give an example of some acceptable deductions?

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                Could you give an example of some acceptable deductions?

A few examples of deductions/inputs available in DivorceMate :

Childs portion of health insurance premiums
                Childs portion of medical expenses
                Sec 7 expenses
                Post secondary expenses
                Carrying charges and interest expenses
                Employment expenses
                Other deductions ie moving expenses
                Chldrens fitness amount
                Disability amount
                Donations/gifts
                Rnt paid
                Property tax paid
                Life insurance
                Extended health care
                other cash flow amount

Hawk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X