This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property Rights and Spousal Support?

I have been in a common law relatioship for 7 years. We have had a joint bank account which both of our incomes have been paid into for about 4 years. 2 years ago we bought a house together and used our RRSPs (all paid from the joint acct). Both of our names are on title and the mortgage. She earns about twice as much as I do and beleives she should get a larger % of the house. Also she believes the debt, credit card and line of credit, should also be divided based on income, she earns more, she believes she should pay less. Also do I have a claim for spousal support? We are in Alberta.

RMC,

welcome to the forum,

If both names are on title to the home, I suspect the equity and mortgage/ liability would be equalized.

As far as other debt is concerned, if it is a community joint debt, both names on the accounts etc, then this should also be equalized. If only one party is named as the account holder, then this debt belongs to them solely and are legally liable for same.

I suspect you may be entitled to spousal support. Basically if you have need and the other party has means would be a factor after it is established you do qualify for same.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X