SS calculation: cost of "working" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS calculation: cost of "working" ?

I have to work, soon to be ex-wife doesn't due to LTD / early retirement. In calculating SS (with child and then without child, once they are old enough), can I add a "cost of working" somewhere in there?

ie: going to work entails expenses... can a price be put on that? ie: should I reduce my income by a few thousands?

I looked at the SSAG and didn't find anything. To me, if there is no undue hardship, it seems like this would be a sufficient reason to stick to the low end range of the scale..

Originally posted by gettingexpensive View Post
    I have to work, soon to be ex-wife doesn't due to LTD / early retirement. In calculating SS (with child and then without child, once they are old enough), can I add a "cost of working" somewhere in there?

ie: going to work entails expenses... can a price be put on that? ie: should I reduce my income by a few thousands?

I looked at the SSAG and didn't find anything. To me, if there is no undue hardship, it seems like this would be a sufficient reason to stick to the low end range of the scale..
    so are you talking about gas for a vehicle or transit passes or stuff like that?

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
      so are you talking about gas for a vehicle or transit passes or stuff like that?
      Going to work costs money. You have to dress, gas, sometimes you need to eat out, You end up stressed, .. I guess the 50-50 NDI bugs me when only one parent works. Yes, I'm all for nice houses for both parents but if you bust your ass off working, you'd think you'd get a bit more.

Comment

You may want to do a search of canlii and see. These things you would put on your financial statement but not sure how it impacts the ss calculation.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
          You may want to do a search of canlii and see. These things you would put on your financial statement but not sure how it impacts the ss calculation.
          A few thousand $$$ can make a difference when you pay it for years and years.. I'll take a look at canlii.

Comment

The other thing someone who has a salary of 120K+ (as reported to this site in another thread by you) is to retain a lawyer. A good one. Most of the posters on this site do not have nearly that much income and do not have the legal means to retain counsel. You also claim to own your home outright. You can get the lawyer to put a lean against your half of the house as a retainer as well. Many lawyers will do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
              The other thing someone who has a salary of 120K+ (as reported to this site in another thread by you) is to retain a lawyer. A good one.
              Yeah I've got one who seems to be quite good and efficient but some concerns were raised when she wasn't sure about a few of the fields in divorcemate... ie: should the "disabled" field be used?

And I am the one that raised the fact that she doesn't pay CPP nor EI because she's getting CPP disability payments... so that should be added to her income.

I guess this has me ponder "is she good?"

Comment

Originally posted by gettingexpensive View Post
                Yeah I've got one who seems to be quite good and efficient but some concerns were raised when she wasn't sure about a few of the fields in divorcemate... ie: should the "disabled" field be used?

And I am the one that raised the fact that she doesn't pay CPP nor EI because she's getting CPP disability payments... so that should be added to her income.

I guess this has me ponder "is she good?"
                One of the best things you can do when you start questioning your lawyer's advice is to seek a second opinion. It will cost you. I sought a second opinion from 3 different lawyers- I paid an avg of 250 each time. So $750 overall. BUt it was necessary.

I know the thought process is like "oh my god- am I going to have to ante up 5K to someone else now?" The answer is yes. BUT- an inefficient lawyer will cost you more in the end. My first lawyer was nice- she was competent- but not particularly efficient- and frankly got her ass handed to her repeatedly by my ex's prestige-bay-street-lawyer. I fired her. I'm paying 2.5x as much on my lawyer now- but he's getting results. And in the end I have paid less to progress further.

Don't just pay your legal bills- ask questions. Ask your lawyer for a strategy. Make them commit to it in writing. Ask them for timelines.

Comment

Same happened to me!! Expensive lawyer. Long time in the business. Was useless. She more or less for me into this mess. And then didn’t want to act to try to end it. I went to get second opinion and still hesitated. I finally changed and at least this lawyer seems to fight for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X