OHIP Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHIP Cards

Hi Guys, it’s my first time posting here. I have been divorced since last February. I have shared custody of my two young children. My ex wife is completely uncooperative in every respect and won’t abide by our agreement in a lot of areas.

Recently I needed to take my daughter to the hospital and my ex wife had the health card. I managed to obtain the health card (which a lot of trouble/rhetoric) associated with it. It then expired two days later.

I have asked my ex wife to send the cards home with the kids and she refuses. She is totally unwilling to send the health cards with them when it’s my time with the kids. I have reached out to the ministry and they refuse to issue two sets of cards.

In other provinces they issue two sets, but Ontario is steadfast on not doing that for “security reasons”

How am I supposed to pay for a bill I get from the provider when I have zero access to the health cards? Is there any simple solution that won’t cost thousands in court?

Thanks

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Photocopy the cards.

The cards should be with the children, and some orders actually stipulate the cards are to travel with them, while some stipulate ome parent will be the holder of the cards.

What is her reasoning for withholding the cards?

Oh, and if she refuses to give you the cards, have the bill addressed to her address, assuming that the cards are registered to her address.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
      Photocopy the cards.

The cards should be with the children, and some orders actually stipulate the cards are to travel with them, while some stipulate ome parent will be the holder of the cards.

What is her reasoning for withholding the cards?

Oh, and if she refuses to give you the cards, have the bill addressed to her address, assuming that the cards are registered to her address.

Thanks for the reply. If I can ever get my hands on the cards again I’ll make a copy. Our separation agreement does say that the cards will travel with the kids, but she doesn’t following our agreement. She has no reasoning for withholding the cards other than to have “control” and make my life difficult.

I appreciate your last piece of advice. The cards are indeed registered to her address.

I just wish she was a reasonable, approachable person. Unfortunately she’s not.

Thanks

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by youngdad91 View Post
        I had the same dilemma. Asked for a consent order that she give me photocopies (cellphone pic is sufficient) -her lawyer said yes right away. I could have only imagined the judges response had her lawyer said no.

LOL. I like that one. I ended up agreeing that mom would be responsible for being the librarian. I was sort of initially worried about if she forgets to renew.. but now after reading your post.. if she forgets to renew and there is a bill...will..her problem.. not mine. Your "thinking outside of the box" Made my day.. thanks.

At the end of the day; in my situation it’s just her trying to exercise some form of control. She has very little control left of me and this is one mechanism that makes her feel enabled. Ultimately we (my current partner and I) want what is best for the kids; having said that I find myself bashing my head off the brick wall at times in frustration with the ex.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have started a change.org campaign to have the Ontario government change their policy. If any of you would be so inclined to sign it and share it it would be of great help to us.

https://www.change.org/p/christine-e...term=triggered

Comment

Go to an ontario service center and get a new card. Change the address to your address. Problem solved!

Feel free to send her a message once you get the new card.

"Since you did not give me the health card, I assumed that you had lost it and acquired a replacement. For better safekeeping in the future, I'm going to hold on to it. Please let me know if you need it."

Alternatively, put it in the kid's schoolbag and have it walk around with them.

Comment

Go to an ontario service center and get a new card (say that the old one is lost). Change the address to your address. Problem solved!

"Since you did not give me the health card, I assumed that you had lost it and acquired a replacement. For better safekeeping in the future, I'm going to hold on to it. Please let me know if you need it."

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
              Go to an ontario service center and get a new card. Change the address to your address. Problem solved!

Tried that. In order to do that I have to have their birth certificates (which she also controls and won’t give to me)

As for leaving them in their school bags, she refuses to use “my” school bags because they were a gift from me to them. So that wouldn’t work. Trust me - I’m not dealing with a reasonable person.

Comment

Originally posted by malibuwakeridr View Post
                Tried that. In order to do that I have to have their birth certificates (which she also controls and won’t give to me)

Well, that's an insurmountable obstacle.

https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForm...007.1541106909

Stop expecting mom to hand you things on a sliver platter. Get the crap yourself. You sound like the type of parent who will later complain that mom isn't giving you the report cards instead of going to the school and getting them yourself.

Comment

Well, that's an insurmountable obstacle.

https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForm...007.1541106909

Stop expecting mom to hand you things on a sliver platter. Get the crap yourself. You sound like the type of parent who will later complain that mom isn't giving you the report cards instead of going to the school and getting them yourself.

...quite the opposite; which is why I have already reached out to the Minister and created an online petition to change the current policy of only giving one health card. (Unlike the rest of the country) In dealing specifically with the health cards - getting them changed to my address is a band aid solution in that I would gladly share the cards with their mother when the kids go back and forth; I would just never receive the cards back.

Comment

Go get an order that the OHIP card travels with them along with any necessary medication. My daughter has her health card and EpiPens Jr with her in her diaper bag at all times. It goes where she goes- she including visits with her dad.

Comment

...quite the opposite; which is why I have already reached out to the Minister and created an online petition to change the current policy of only giving one health card.

Petitions are a waste of time. Online petitions are even worse. Government knows the level of effort required to create and sign an online petition, and accord it the appropriate level of weight.

Get a group together, then meet your local MP. Eventually they will stop ruining sex ed and making beer cheap and have time to actually do useful things.

getting them changed to my address is a band aid solution in that I would gladly share the cards with their mother when the kids go back and forth; I would just never receive the cards back.
                      I will spell it out for you then.

1) Get birth certificate
                      2) use birth certificate to get new health card
                      3) Send health card in bag

Split in flowchart

If she sends health card back
                      4a) Congratulations! You are done.

If she keeps health card.
                      4b) Get a new health card, cancelling old one.
                      5b) This time keep the card

If she does the same thing to you, rinse and repeat but start at step #4b. Spending thousands to get an unenforceable court order is folly when you can just do this for free. All it costs is a bit of time.

Comment

Petitions are a waste of time. Online petitions are even worse. Government knows the level of effort required to create and sign an online petition, and accord it the appropriate level of weight.

Get a group together, then meet your local MP. Eventually they will stop ruining sex ed and making beer cheap and have time to actually do useful things.

I will spell it out for you then.

1) Get birth certificate
                        2) use birth certificate to get new health card
                        3) Send health card in bag

Split in flowchart

If she sends health card back
                        4a) Congratulations! You are done.

If she keeps health card.
                        4b) Get a new health card, cancelling old one.
                        5b) This time keep the card

If she does the same thing to you, rinse and repeat but start at step #4b. Spending thousands to get an unenforceable court order is folly when you can just do this for free. All it costs is a bit of time.

Thanks for your advice Janus.

Comment

Thanks for your advice Janus.

Not sure if that was a facetious expression of thanks, but I just wanted to point out that my advice is actually from experience. My ex is a serious document keeper, and I actually had to rinse and repeat a few times before she realized that I was never going to let her just keep the health card.

Passports are the big exception, you need cooperation and possibly a court order for those.

Comment

Not sure if that was a facetious expression of thanks, but I just wanted to point out that my advice is actually from experience. My ex is a serious document keeper, and I actually had to rinse and repeat a few times before she realized that I was never going to let her just keep the health card.

Passports are the big exception, you need cooperation and possibly a court order for those.
                            I have helped people do exactly what Janus has recommended and it works. Stop complaining and start solving problems.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X