Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:25 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate331 View Post
I'd like to know the cost to taxpayers who now have to support some of these children through social services. That would be an interesting study. Fixing one system would help the other, imo. From what I have read 80% of FRO payers are in arrears.
It actually isn't that hard because of the majority of child support is paid voluntarily without the need of FRO.

The reason you see so much about FRO is because it is for the very small % (1-4%) of the population of child support payers that would not pay otherwise. It is a classic case of the highly-conflicted in our society consumers the majority of our resources.

Furthermore, FRO only reports on the problems... There are probably 20 situations for every 1 bad FRO case where the parents don't need (or want) FRO involved in their lives.

The biggest issue at FRO is that payers who work for cash or are self-employed take up significant amounts of time.

The only time FRO should be involved in a matter is when someone is consistently not paying CS or refuses to. FRO should be for the 1-5% of the times they are needed.

With electronic money transfers (email money transfers) and other modern systems to do this... Parents who don't have issues should not be using FRO.

Good Luck!
Tayken
Old 03-08-2018, 11:44 AM

kate331 is on a distinguished road

I got the info here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...port-1.2782955

80% of Court Orders through FRO in Ontario are in arrears and
$3.7B is owed in Canada

My thought is that money owed is putting a strain of Social Services such as Social Housing and Subsidized Daycare,

I do agree that parents that dont need the FRO shouldnt use it but how can you change that?
Old 03-08-2018, 02:48 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

The interest rate on arrears are not worth any sort of battle. I would ignore the issue and just get the capital collected. Unless the arrears are in the million+ range then it may be worth it.

Most arrears are <10k. Interest on 10k is a joke these days. Especially at the 3% they are awarded on.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
80% of Court Orders through FRO in Ontario are in arrears and $3.7B is owed in Canada
That number has been disputed and the article is from 2014. At that time the FRO system was being investigated in Ontario and was found to be over charging people.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/frustr...ents-1.2839241

So a lot of the number was the result of improper calculations on the part of FRO.

Quote:
My thought is that money owed is putting a strain of Social Services such as Social Housing and Subsidized Daycare.
I don't think it has a significant impact. Child Support is fractional in what the real cost of raising children is. No one lives off child support and generally if you are in need of social services the parent of the children is not some crazy 150,000+ income earner not paying child support.

Just punch incomes into mysupportcalculator.ca and see what they spit out. Start with the average income for a Canadian (51,000). Which for 1 child is 470 in CS or a whopping $5640. That won't lift anyone in poverty out of poverty. They will still need social services.

You want to improve the situation. Learn to develop software. Average income for a software developer is 100,000+. You won't even want the $5640 from the other parent.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:08 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

True story...my father refused to pay cs and ss when we were teens and there was no FRO back then. The court rolled the cs amounts into ss right as we turned 18. We found out last year that his CPP and OAS were being garnished by FRO and sent to my mother. I couldnt figure out why he was still working under the table for cash. Goes to show you that FRO is still able to find some deadbeats but only if it involves government sources!
Old 03-08-2018, 05:51 PM

Tayken: I disagree, now that I had to apply for subsidized Daycare because the ex wont pay. So the way I see it is, you the taxpayer will pay instead of the parent, that doesn't make sense to me.

I do agree that no parent should be living off child support and should be supporting themselves, but imo it makes a difference to the children. I for one would love to feed my kids a better diet, and have them participate in after school programs. And yes the $800.00 a month owed to them each month, would do that.

Or better yet, mandate the 50/50 custody/access, so each parents supports the children equally, both financially and emotionally. I for one would gladly give up any CS I may get through the courts then FRO, and let the other parent financially support the children 50% of the time. I've done the Math, I would be better off financially, if it was split.

Rockscan: I hope that by having a Dad that didnt pay support hasnt soured or hurt your relationship with him. But I feel for your Mom.

v3ktors: Sorry for hijacking your thread

Disclaimer: This is someone of a vent. I am just finding myself frustrated these days with what "I" persieve as unjust. I do appreciate all your insights. I also know that this forum is full of great parents that just want the best for their children, including myself.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:00 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

We grew up with nothing and are all successful high functioning members of society making excellent incomes. We put ourselves through school and paid for things we wanted. Set the mom guilt aside. Your kids will be fine.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
We grew up with nothing and are all successful high functioning members of society making excellent incomes. We put ourselves through school and paid for things we wanted. Set the mom guilt aside. Your kids will be fine.
Yes, I am racked with Mom Guilt!!!
Old 03-09-2018, 08:43 AM

v3ktors is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies...and I'm glad it has generated some good discussion. Arrears in my case is around $30k. The problem is that the ongoing support (cs and ss) will likely put a strain financially on my ex. That means that the arrears won't be payable in a lump sum. If it takes 10 years to pay the arrears, the interest amount would be meaningful. My kids have never suffered as a result of the lack of cs and ss paid, but it certainly isn't fair to me to carry debt and my ex get rewarded for not paying what they should have in the first place.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Tayken: I disagree, now that I had to apply for subsidized Daycare because the ex wont pay. So the way I see it is, you the taxpayer will pay instead of the parent, that doesn't make sense to me.
Your theory fails because the province of Quebec has subsidized daycare for the entire province independent of income. In addition, they have a vastly different CS calculation that results in lower than table numbers.

This is no small province and yet, it works for them. Not sure why the rest of the country is still stuck in 1982.