Apprenticeship and CS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apprenticeship and CS

I know the standard is usually CS is reduced when a child is away from home for post secondary and such, but what happens if a child takes an apprenticeship? Most are a few years long and only require a few weeks at a time in class... how does CS work when a child is getting paid as an apprentice but then has to go to school for a few weeks and living at home the whole time ... knowing that while in school they can also collect ei?

A coworker has a son going for an electrician and his ex is requesting full CS while the child is going through his apprenticeship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the case law I read said that cs is not ordered for a child who is earning money and can contribute to their living expenses. Its ordered for summer as they are working to contribute to their school expenses.

How much will kid be earning and how long is the apprenticeship? Do they go back to school after the work?

I would say no cs because this is their training for a job. Its not school. They do get paid and they do qualify for EI but she could argue that he is still in school and eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      All of the case law I read said that cs is not ordered for a child who is earning money and can contribute to their living expenses. Its ordered for summer as they are working to contribute to their school expenses.

How much will kid be earning and how long is the apprenticeship? Do they go back to school after the work?

I would say no cs because this is their training for a job. Its not school. They do get paid and they do qualify for EI but she could argue that he is still in school and eligible.

The child will be making $17 an hour as a pre-apprentice, every term that is completed a raise is granted... basically there is no time between start of apprentice and end of apprentice the child won’t be making money, either from working or ei... Dad has no issues helping son out where required but doesn’t agree to pay full CS when son is working full time

Comment

Ya he’s not a student. He’s a full time employee. CS is not applicable. If his mom is worried about expenses she can charge him rent.

Your friend needs to simply tell her he is not in school full time and is therefore no longer entitled to cs.

Comment

Wow, I find it ridiculous that a Mother would ask for Full Child Support in that situation.
          But I also believe that Common Sense and Morals are completely different than What Family Law is.

Common Sense---He's earning $17 an hour Full Time. That is "Self-Sufficient" while he's doing that.

But does the law view Apprenticeship as Schooling?

Was there Tuition to be paid for it??

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmorganite View Post
            Wow, I find it ridiculous that a Mother would ask for Full Child Support in that situation.
            But I also believe that Common Sense and Morals are completely different than What Family Law is.

Common Sense---He's earning $17 an hour Full Time. That is "Self-Sufficient" while he's doing that.

But does the law view Apprenticeship as Schooling?

Was there Tuition to be paid for it??

I think there is a cost for the in school portion, although I don’t know much about it. Dad’s totally okay with helping out with that but paying full CS when the son is making $17 an hour seems a little ridiculous

Comment

Yes I agree with you.

Crazy if this is another one of those situations that common-sense doesn't prevail to the law.
              Of course each person's common-sense and opinions are different!

Comment

Who lives on $17/hour and pays rent?
                Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Its 35 thousand a year. I lived on that and paid rent, car lease, food, gas and student loans. In fact, I lived on 25 thousand a year and paid that.

Remember too that people get imputed less and pay cs or offset cs...

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
                    Who lives on $17/hour and pays rent?

Many, many people live on that or less... especially apprentices as they usually start off making 40% of the regular wage (my brother just finished his apprenticeship last year and when he was first year apprentice he bought his own house...)

Regardless of whether that is a living wage or not, the question was more if CS is still payable because he’s living at home when he’s making $17 an hour.

Comment

I was looking on Canli and came across a case where a child was doing hairstyling apprenticeship and living with the father.
                      It looked like the judge ordered the Mother to pay child support, but reduced it by 1/3 saying the child could be responsible for that 1/3 out of her income from the apprenticeship. (Just like they are typically responsible for 1/3 when it comes to tuition, books, etc.)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X