Settlement conference brief without offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settlement conference brief without offer

My ex just sent me their settlement conference brief but they did not include an offer to settle in it. Is this allowed? Or an indication that they don't plan to settle but want to go to trial.

Was this an initial filing or are they responding to you?

If it's an initial filing, what are they asking for?

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
      Was this an initial filing or are they responding to you?

If it's an initial filing, what are they asking for?
      Not sure what initial filing is. They are the applicant . Settlement conference is booked. They served their brief by the deadline, so I am not sure if the court will allow them more time after deadline to amend or add to brief.

Comment

What they ask for? In your response you can come with an offer or not, depends what's at play.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by paco View Post
          What they ask for? In your response you can come with an offer or not, depends what's at play.

you mean it is not required to go to a settlement conference with an offer to settle

Comment

No, it's not.
            Every family law case has to have a settlement conference if the parties (you and your partner) cannot agree on your issues.
            The judge at each settlement conference has 2 main goals. Their first goal is to see whether some or all of the case can be settled permanently, without going further in the court process.
            Their second goal is to make sure that all the information and documents that a trial judge needs to make a decision on your case have been exchanged and that the case is ready to go to trial.
            If you both know that the case goes to trial you can actually have a combined SC/TMC for a faster expenditure.

Comment

Originally posted by paco View Post
              No, it's not.
              Every family law case has to have a settlement conference if the parties (you and your partner) cannot agree on your issues.
              The judge at each settlement conference has 2 main goals. Their first goal is to see whether some or all of the case can be settled permanently, without going further in the court process.
              Their second goal is to make sure that all the information and documents that a trial judge needs to make a decision on your case have been exchanged and that the case is ready to go to trial.
              If you both know that the case goes to trial you can actually have a combined SC/TMC for a faster expenditure.

I just saw this that answers my question. https://canlii.ca/t/gmfpd

it is MUST to have a offer to settle at the Settlement conference

Comment

Originally posted by ottawaparent View Post
                I just saw this that answers my question. https://canlii.ca/t/gmfpd

it is MUST to have a offer to settle at the Settlement conference
                Then you can include one in yours and they will look like fools at the case conference.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X