after school child care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• after school child care

We have a 50/50 custody (basically) and access for a young child.

I pay child support, I support my children and my job allows me to pick them up after school, no extra child care needed.

She isn't working and is very difficult.

Hypothetical: She starts working and I can't take care of the child during the day or after school for her when she is at work 9-5 plus travel time.

It seems ironic that her earning money will cost me more money than if she stayed unemployed.

Do I have to pay 75% (or whatever the % is) of her pre and post school daycare?

Hypothetical: if I am available to take care of the child pre and post school does that mean I have a case to have access during that time?

Yes daycare is a necessary expense but it is also based on their income and any benefits they make. For instance, if they qualify for subsidized daycare, you pay your share of that reduced amount. Your share is calculated based on their new income.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      Yes daycare is a necessary expense but it is also based on their income and any benefits they make. For instance, if they qualify for subsidized daycare, you pay your share of that reduced amount. Your share is calculated based on their new income.
      realistic but hypothetical numbers but want to hear I am wrong.
      If I earn 90K and they earn 30K for a total of 120K.
      I pay 3/4 and they pay 1/4. Daycare is $800/month = $600 I pay but can't/don't use that child care.

My child support is reduced by $400/month but I am paying out $600/month extra. Them getting a job actually costs me $200?

Comment

If you can provide care you can request you take the children but she could say no. However, if she is working then she is earning money and it could increase meaning the number goes down.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
          However, if she is working then she is earning money and it could increase meaning the number goes down.
          Lipstick on a pig....optimism isn't a bad thing though.

Comment

Originally posted by cleanSlate View Post
            Daycare is $800/month = $600 I pay but can't/don't use that child care.
            So why are you hiring daycare on days that you do not need it? Assuming she is the only one who requires daycare, then she will need around 11 days a month. Assuming a ridiculously high cost of $50/day for child care, that is still only about $550 per month, of which only $420 or so is your portion.

Now it mostly balances out, so while you are not gaining because of her employment, you are not losing either.

If we go with the apparant cost which is about $40/day, then your costs would be $330, and now you are doing better because she is working.

Remember when elections roll around to vote for a government that will increase minimum wage, so you don't get screwed this badly in the future.

Comment

Plus you only have to pay on the after tax/subsidy cost. If she's earning 30k and her daycare is 800/month, she should be saving about 1800/yr in taxes, so her after tax cost is only 650. If she's only making 30k, she should be eligible for subsidy so that reduces the cost even further.

But yes, her getting a job may increase your overall expenses as daycare is a valid section 7 expense and if she needs it to work, both parents are responsible.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X