Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax question - repayment of arrears

Hi -

I'm the support payer in Ontario, payments have been deducted from the start via FRO. I experienced health problems in 2014, and fell about $9,000 behind in support, I missed 3 months of work; however, child support was fully paid for 2014.

In 2015, I had a good year, and the FRO deducted support at 50% of net for the entire year.

Over 24 pay periods I paid $6,000 in arrears for the year, (24 PP X $250 a month). All support for 2015 was paid.

(The $3,000 that was still owing in 2016 for 2014 has since been paid off, from a year end bonus cheque I received in early 2016.)

I filed my taxes for 2015 and put down the full amount of support paid: child support + regular spousal support + support arrears. This adds up to just under $50,000.

Do I need to file something else to let the tax man know that there is back support in the amount? I assume that re-payment of spousal support arrears will provide me tax credits?

Anyone else been through this?

Unless you were divorced before 1997 you cant claim child support paid.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      Unless you were divorced before 1997 you cant claim child support paid.
      I know.Child support isn't deductible in my case.

I'm asking if the spousal support arrears from 2014, which I repaid in 2015 can be claimed on 2015 return.

Comment

your best bet is to contact CRA and explain the situation.

not sure if this helps

Lines 230 and 220 ? Support payments made

Comment

You can have your 2014 income tax reassessed. You go on to your account and select change my return. Select the year you wish to return and then put down the appropriate line in the tax return. You put the old amount claimed on your submitted return and then you,put the new amount. Then submit. It's easy and quick. They reasses and send you a reassessment statement and hopefully,a refund.

I just completed it for,some RRSP we missed this year. So I know it works.

Comment

My understanding is it has to be filed in the year it is paid. When ex gave me a lump sum spousal support payment, he rushed to have it ready before the year ended so that it would be filed with that year's taxes. If you pay it in a different year, it should be filed under that year. She claims it as income in the year she receives it.

My two cents having done it with spousal support payments.

Comment

Makes sense. But did he pay it in 2014 or 2015? I was not sure. Also she might want to declare it in 2014 as it will effect her taxable income. They need to be in sync. Which might create a problem if they do not get on.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X