This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• separation agreement wording

Does anyone have an example of the wording for the separation agreement for the CS?

My ex's lawyer doesn't seem to understand that it's the net total of the chart amounts.

Also, for this year, and even next year, I'd like to put it on current paycheques, as she doesn't have a history of steady earnings (she was a stay at home mom).

Same thing for the section 7 expenses. I think we'll just use 70/30 split since I don't think that'll change much. Should I put in examples, or even a calculation of current expenses?

In my experience both as parent and seeing someone else going through it.....a separation agreement really nothing when it comes to finances....my current bf had separation agreement for joint debt that she was to pay the pymnts but she defaulted and he was stuck with the bill.......if you pay the table amount based on your income tax line 150 from the one you filed in March or April....then nothing can be reverted to when it comes time for divorce

Comment

The legal wording is this:
      Where the spouses have shared custody, the starting point for the calculation of child support under s. 9(a) of the Federal Child Support Guidelines is the straight set-off of table amounts for the number of children subject to shared custody, as set out in the Supreme Court decision in Contino v. Leonelli-Contino.
      I think this is what you mean by "the net total of the chart amounts"? So I would word it something like "Child support shall be a straight set-off of the table amounts for (one) child according to the parties' gross income as determined each by their income tax returns." Adjust that wording as you see fit.

For your special expenses I think you should word it that they shall be paid in proportion to each party's gross income (or NDI depending on what you negotiated). I realize you think it will always be 70/30, but what if you get a substantial raise in a couple years and she wants to reopen the agreement just because of special expenses? I suggest you keep the wording such that the future can be fluid according to whatever circumstances.

"The special expenses shall be determined jointly with a children's budget set out by both parties each year. If agreement can not be reached, the parties agree to accept the decision of a professional mediator." There, you are all set.

Comment

Is it customary to write in the initial amount? Or the calculation?

What about something like :

"The initial monthly child support amount will be of 280$ with it being modified each June, starting in 2011."

Her lawyer suggested using 70/30 for special expenses. I believe that currently it's about 67%. I am trying to make it as simple as possible. I don't think she'll get a huge raise, it's highly improbable, and if I get a huge raise, I would be ready to voluntarily pay more. Wouldn't go to court over this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
          "The special expenses shall be determined jointly with a children's budget set out by both parties each year. If agreement can not be reached, the parties agree to accept the decision of a professional mediator."
          and...

"Mediator to be chosen by father in even years, and the mother in odd years.'

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
            and...

"Mediator to be chosen by father in even years, and the mother in odd years.'
            Heh. Actually we had pre-chosen a mediator, that was in a later section. The benefit was that we didn't have to go through any searching or discussion, one of us could just call up and make and appointment.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X