Legal Aid qualification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Aid qualification

If someone was able to retain a legal aid lawyer but then subsequently didn’t qualify for years afterwards (too high of income). Would the legal aid lawyer be obligated to see the case through and the client would have to pay in full or a portion at the end?

They could very well continue to be represented by that lawyer but at regular client rates. Or they may have worked out a reduced rate. This may be a question for legal aid or even a lawyer that accepts legal aid clients. I know my mother had legal aid almost 20 years ago and her funding ran out (there was a lien against our house) but she wanted to continue. The lawyer told her that the full rates would now apply and she would no longer be eligible for assistance. That stopped the litigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

probably best you take a pay cut, for now.

Comment

As far as my understanding goes, your financial need and your legal need are reviewed by legal aid through your lawyer each year.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X