X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealy in Filing Settlement Conference Materials - What to Do

Hi,

My ex's lawyer scheduled a settlement conference next week Thursday. My ex wants some form of access that is why they scheduled the conference.

I thought the rules indicate that "or a case conference or settlement conference requested by a party, the requesting party shall serve and file at least seven days before the conference date and the other party shall serve and file at least four days before that date "

However, as of today, I have not received any materials from him. What should I do, since I am traveling country...

Thanks - Punda
    Last edited by PundaSmith; 11-19-2008, 12:38 PM. Reason: Edit title

It is suppose to be like clockwork. However, don't get to wrapped up into the rules. Remain focussed on the issues. Allow the court to police their rules, not you.

If it was me, I would go ahead and serve and file your respective material as per the rules.

Don't forget about filing your 14C confirmation that is due prior to 2 p.m. --2 days before with the Registrar.
    Last edited by logicalvelocity; 11-20-2008, 12:34 PM. Reason: typo and a little bit of hinsight!

Comment

I agree with legalvelocity; serve your brief and file it and your confirmation as though they had served theirs. If there's anything unexpected in their brief, assuming they finally serve one, you can request an adjournment due to insufficient time to prepare (you should also ask the judge to smite opposing counsel around the head for not following the rules, just 'cause...),

Unfortunately, it appears that, in Family Court, the only ones expected to follow the rules are those that are unrepresented. The notices that state that "you will be held to the same standard as parties who have lawyers acting for them" are pure bulls**t; you're held to a much higher standard, at least by the supposedly helpful folks at the FLIC.

In this case, even the law seems to be written assuming the rules aren't going to be followed, viz:

Rule 17(13.1) The party requesting the conference (or, if the conference is not requested by a party, the applicant) shall serve and file a brief not later than seven days before the date scheduled for the conference and the other party shall do so not later than four days before that date. O. Reg. 202/01, s. 5 (5).

Rule 17(14.1) No brief or other document for use at the conference may be served or filed after 2 p.m. two days before the date scheduled for the conference. O. Reg. 202/01, s. 5 (7).

14.1 implicitly states that briefs are acceptable up to 2 days before. What's the point of 13.1 at all, then?

Just my jaundiced opinion...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X