Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OCL Disclosure Meeting - ex is bringing a Lawyer, should I ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCL Disclosure Meeting - ex is bringing a Lawyer, should I ?

Hi community,

I have my Disclosure meeting occurring shortly, and I have just been told that my STBX is bringing counsel. Couple of questions.

1. I have not received a Notice of Change in Representation, Can I assume that this is forth coming ?

2. I was told that I will mostly listen during the disclosure meeting, and be allowed to take notes and that nothing will be resolved in the meeting itself. Also I was told that no written copy of disclosure will be provided. Does this sound correct ?

3. I have been self rep'ed for sometime and have had reasonable success winning most of my temporary orders so far. Should I bring counsel to the disclosure meeting ?

As usual, many thanks.

I would bring a digital recorder discretely in addition to making your own notes. I don't believe anything is gained by bringing your lawyer... what are they going to do other than sit there and listen to the report as well?

Comment

Originally posted by FightingForFamily View Post
      I would bring a digital recorder discretely in addition to making your own notes. I don't believe anything is gained by bringing your lawyer... what are they going to do other than sit there and listen to the report as well?
      Thanks for the reply.

Comment

My below comments assume this is an OCL disclosure meeting.

1. I have not received a Notice of Change in Representation, Can I assume that this is forth coming ?
        Not necessarily. They may only be assisting her with the conference and following negotiations. But maybe.

2. I was told that I will mostly listen during the disclosure meeting, and be allowed to take notes and that nothing will be resolved in the meeting itself.
        That is terribly useless and a damned shame besides. Most OCL/counsel will ask for a short break after the disclosure part (take a breath and absorb), then get down into four way / five way negotiations in the hope of resolving the parenting issues.

I was told that no written copy of disclosure will be provided
        It can be, depending on the circumstances. Not every OCL prepares a report. If a report is prepared it is done after the disclosure meeting as the OCL hopes for a settlement, thus saving their time.

Should I bring counsel to the disclosure meeting ?
        If you feel it would make you more confident or help with negotiations, yes. Or if you are prone to stress / don't take good notes, since the OCL's position is important and indicates how they would argue at a trial.

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
          My below comments assume this is an OCL disclosure meeting.

Not necessarily. They may only be assisting her with the conference and following negotiations. But maybe.

That is terribly useless and a damned shame besides. Most OCL/counsel will ask for a short break after the disclosure part (take a breath and absorb), then get down into four way / five way negotiations in the hope of resolving the parenting issues.

It can be, depending on the circumstances. Not every OCL prepares a report. If a report is prepared it is done after the disclosure meeting as the OCL hopes for a settlement, thus saving their time.

If you feel it would make you more confident or help with negotiations, yes. Or if you are prone to stress / don't take good notes, since the OCL's position is important and indicates how they would argue at a trial.

OL - a most excellent reply, thank you. Site admin, can we make this sticky for others to benefit from please ?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X