Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Set-off method is unfair to higher earner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rthombe View Post
    Hi there. I've been struggling with this concept for some time and would love to hear others' opinions on the matter.

I currently have an agreement in place with my ex that follows standard Federal Guidelines. We have 2 children and 50/50 shared custody, and I earn quite a bit more than she does: the federal tables suggest my contribution to support is about $1100 and hers is about $400.

Now, with the standard offset, I'm paying her $700, and that's what I've been doing for years. I've been really struggling with my budget, living paycheque to paycheque, never having enough for unexpected expenses (dental, car repairs etc), no credit, and *never* any hope for any kind of savings.

It got me looking at the match of the offset method, and it just doesn't makes sense to me!

The federal tables are supposed to represent how much a person with a certain income *should* spend on child care, regardless of custody arrangements:

"The child support amounts in the tables reflect what parents living in the same province, with the same incomes and the same number of children would spend on their children." (About Child Support in Canada)

So of my $1100 that I should have earmarked for my kids, I'm giving $700 to my ex, leaving me with $400 to spend on them when they're with me. On the other hand, my ex has her $400 from her own income, plus my $700, so she gets $1100 to spend on them when they're with her!!

In other words, we've swapped roles ... she gets my table amount to spend on the kids, and I get her table amount. If I earn more, it does *nothing* to help my budget, as the set-off calculation always gives her whatever the tables say *I* should pay, and I'm stuck with only whatever she earns.

Whenever trying to talk to lawyers or counsellors all I get back is: "That's what the guidelines say, if you think it's unfair, take it to a judge." And that's what I'll do, I guess, but I'm afraid no-one will look at the actual *logic* of this, and just say: "Everyone uses the set-off method. That's what the guidelines say."

Please help me understand how the set-off method is fair, and if there's any hope in doing something more reasonable like, say, *splitting* the set-off amount, so we'd both end up with equal amounts to spend on the kids when they're at our homes. (In my case I'm suggesting I pay her $350 instead of $700, so we both end up with $750 to spend on the kids.)
    Assuming your figures and facts are correct, your logic is undeniable.

However, we live on this planet Earth, in the country of Canada.

The Laws we adhere to, are not always (even often!) based on logic.

It is what it is, and you can either just accept it and do the right thing by it, or you can still do the right thing by it, and try to become involved in an effort to change it.

Maybe you should run for Municipal Office of some sort, and then work your way up to Federal Leader of whatever party you favour.

That's the only way you can affect change, aside from maybe some revolutionary ideas that would probably be deemed illegal.

So let's assume you're 100% correct.
    Now, what are you going to do about it?
    Last edited by wretchedotis; 01-24-2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I think you missed the point again, Teyken. I have no intention of "using" the courts just to get her to talk -- if I'm forced to go to court it will be with every intention of winning.

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
      1. If you are "really suffering" you should seek therapy and not court to resolve your "suffering" problems.
      I meant financial suffering, obviously. Did you read my previous post outlining my income and expenses? I'm at rock bottom, waiting for financial disaster to happen. I *must* try to resolve this issue.

2. You will lose and horribly and only get a costs award against you for attempting to use the court to "control" the other parent in the matter and "get what you want".
      I hope I don't lose horribly -- if the judge has basic math and logic abilities, there should be *some* relief applied.

BTW, doesn't *everyone* go to court to "get what they want"? Isn't that the point? I want to be treated fairly, and I think that's a decent use of the courts.

3. I do not recommend you file any application on what you are going to present an argument without at minimum discussing your matter with a qualified lawyer.
      Good advice, and I did that. A few of them. They all thought it was a tough sell, but definitely worth the attempt. As I mentioned before, Section 9(a) does not mandate the set-off method, and judges have broad discretion to adjust the amounts.

4. You can't use the court to improve parental communications and your attempt to do so and admission against interest on this very forum to do this is disturbing to say the least.
      Actually, you can. If one parent refuses to address a real issue, the courts may be used to force mediation or other resolution. In fact, that may be what happens here. I'm considering applying for an order because:

1/ I feel I have *a chance* to win, and
      2/ she refuses to acknowledge my complaint, never mind enter into a reasonable discussion about it.

What choice do I have? I even offered mediation, and she wouldn't respond to the request. When there is a complaint, and one side refuses to engage, it's time to file.

5. Move on with your life and seek financial counselling and theraputic for your "suffering". The public courts should not be used for what you are suggesting in the above quoted paragraph. You are clearly seeking vengence and to "be heard" and not solve a problem.
      Something tweaked in your brain on this one, Tayken, sorry. As I mentioned above, my "suffering" is purely financial, this is a problem I *do* want solved -- by the courts if necessary -- and I have in no way indicated any sort of vengence was sought. I'm not trying to harm her in any way, I merely seek the reasonable and rational resolution where we get equal amounts to spend on the kids when they're in our care.

6. You are presenting an "emotional argument" really and trying to find "facts" to support your argument. This is rather transparent in your postings to say the least. You will be crushed in court not by the other party but, the justice hearing the matter.
      We seem to have unearthed some sort of bias in you. Your statement is not in any way supported by things I've said.

The "fact" is: the offset method provides *far more* money for my ex to spend on the kids than for me. This was well supported by the calculations I shared in the post. There is no emotion here, only math.

7. If the other parent in this matter is reading this thread wondering if the poster is the other parent in their matter.
      I hope she does, so she can at least be presented with my side of the argument.

So far I haven't heard any solid reason why the setoff method is fair. If I lose in court, it will be because of the general predisposition against the higher income earner, not because there's anything wrong (or emotional!) about my argument. That said, if I go to court, it will be with the hope and expectation that logic and reason (and math) will prevail.

If, as a side effect, my filing gets my ex to talk, that would be lovely. But make no mistake, the *purpose* of filing is to get a court date and win.

This is obviously a hot-button topic for you, Teyken, but please try to dig a little deeper before jumping on your soapbox.

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
        Assuming your figures and facts are correct, your logic is undeniable.

So let's assume you're 100% correct.
        Now, what are you going to do about it?
        Yeah, this cuts to the real bones of the issue, doesn't it!

It's possible I will get nowhere with this. I *do* feel strongly that the setoff method is mathematically and logically flawed, but it's true that the only real remedy is to get the law changed. A daunting task, to be sure.

I wish I could take this to the Federal courts with the hope of appealing my way to the Supreme Court, and ultimately get the law re-written. That's the normal process, right? Sadly, I'm broke, and this process is not for the financially challenged!

So then what's the point? Well, under section 9 the judges *do* have discretion to alter the support amounts as they see fit. I can always hope for a favourable resolution to *my* situation, with the right judge. Then, perhaps it could be used as a talking point in future cases, hopefully catching the attention of someone with the resources to take it to the Supreme Court.

Not quite revolutionary, and I may be dreaming, but it's a thought.

Comment

I think you would do better by changing laws through politics, than through case-law.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Toutou View Post
            then move to Quebec (and convince your ex to move to Quebec).

based on Quebec guidelines you would pay logical amount of CS and it is adjusted every year when you file your taxes, automatically... No BS... not unnecessary motions. Based on Quebec guidelines the amount of the child support is based on the income of both parents and the amount hey are supposed to contribute is determined in proportion of their income and number of days the child spends with each parent.

Every divorcing couple has to go to mediation, first 6 sessions are free and then the cost is determined based on income. I guess here is the answer to my question, why shared custody is more common in QC then in rest of Canada.
            I have to say, I really only took about 10 min and read a bit about how child support is calculated in Quebec... it is calculated by DISPOSABLE income, instead of gross income... I am sure in Ontario adapted this method, things would be completely different...

But it does make sense... when one owns a home or even rents a home, there are certain fixed expenses... whether you have equal access or less access, you still have those same fixed costs. To assume a NCP has no fixed expenses is outrageous... it really does make sense the way Quebec does things, more calculations involved...but in the end it is fair.

Comment

So, I looked at the numbers and it seems like your ex has $36,000 a year and you have $49,000 ?

Not really getting how that isn't fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                I have to say, I really only took about 10 min and read a bit about how child support is calculated in Quebec... it is calculated by DISPOSABLE income, instead of gross income... I am sure in Ontario adapted this method, things would be completely different...

But it does make sense... when one owns a home or even rents a home, there are certain fixed expenses... whether you have equal access or less access, you still have those same fixed costs. To assume a NCP has no fixed expenses is outrageous... it really does make sense the way Quebec does things, more calculations involved...but in the end it is fair.
                Disposable Income ... that's brilliant, and makes total sense!! I think if we did it this way, I wouldn't be in the trouble I'm in. The big problem for me is that my income implies much higher disposable income than is the reality -- if I had to do some math to figure out what my disposable income really was, and the support was based on *that*, it would make so much more sense.

Comment

Disposable Income ... that's brilliant, and makes total sense!! I think if we did it this way, I wouldn't be in the trouble I'm in. The big problem for me is that my income implies much higher disposable income than is the reality -- if I had to do some math to figure out what my disposable income really was, and the support was based on *that*, it would make so much more sense.
                  Unfortunately, even though it makes more sense...it would do you no good arguing something like this in an Ontario court.

Comment

My net monthly pay is $4500. I have a family of 4 living full-time at home, plus the two part-time kids.
                    I have to ask - does your now family of 4 include children that were born following separation, and the birth of your existing 2?
                    Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

I was wondering that too McDreamy.

Seems to me that if he had four other children after the first two, that he should have learned to manage his finances before deciding to have more children. Or that the new spouse could get employment to help the cost of raising their four children.

Comment

Originally posted by SadAndTired View Post
                        So, I looked at the numbers and it seems like your ex has $36,000 a year and you have $49,000 ?

A good point, and I'm glad you brought it up. It's important to separate the kid-related expenses from the non-kid-related expenses. Child support is only supposed to support the kid-related expenses. That includes rent, utilities, transportation etc -- things that overlap -- of course. But without a separate agreement for *spousal* support, my money is supposed to offset only what is reasonable in that the children consume.

Now, as it happens, my ex is married and has a much more substantial *household* income than $36,000. Her husband's income does not factor into the costs of the kid-related expenses, and rightly so -- but it *should* factor into the non-kid-related expenses.

As such, you can't just look at the yearly income and say we ought to be the same. I should be supporting *some* of her rent, but not *all* of it. If she weren't married, or underemployed, and she was trying to live off that $36,000 then I'd say she'd have a good argument for spousal support. As it is, though, her non-kid-expenses should not be considered.

So she really is able to spend the entire $1100 on the kids. This allows her so much more freedom when it comes to entertainment, clothing, food etc. This is something that *is* addressed by the courts (I'll have to look for those references again), where there is concern that one parent will be disadvantaged over time when the kids enjoy a higher standard of living at one place compared to the other. I'm very concerned about this!

So the $36,000 figure is a bit of a red herring. She gets $13,000+ to spend on the kids per year, I get $4,800. If I were to spend as much as her, it would reduce my *net* income to roughly the same as hers (my net income is $4500/month - $700 support = $45,600 per year), but I don't have the second household income to pay for those non-kid expenses.

That's the rub. We can't consider his income, nor should we. But then we can't compare yearly net incomes, either, since that doesn't reflect the actual lifestyle. All we can do is look at what the tables say each of us gets to spend on the kids, and the setoff method leads to a gross disparity (when there is gross income disparity).

Comment

I think you missed the point again, Teyken. I have no intention of "using" the courts just to get her to talk -- if I'm forced to go to court it will be with every intention of winning.
                          I can't wait to see the costs award after you do exactly what you are "intending" to do... This is also why you are unrepresented in the matter and would probably would never find a reputable lawyer to take on representing you.

I meant financial suffering, obviously. Did you read my previous post outlining my income and expenses? I'm at rock bottom, waiting for financial disaster to happen. I *must* try to resolve this issue.
                          How about going to a financial counselor and learning how to better manage your finances rather than litigating a point you will lose on?

You are at rock bottom at the numbers I produced regarding your situation? I hope other parents who have a lot less correct you on what defines "rock bottom".

I hope I don't lose horribly -- if the judge has basic math and logic abilities, there should be *some* relief applied.
                          No, there won't be because you are not applying good logic.

BTW, doesn't *everyone* go to court to "get what they want"? Isn't that the point? I want to be treated fairly, and I think that's a decent use of the courts.
                          Honestly... See the high lighted point. The answer to your question is no. People don't go to court to get what they want. They go to court to resolve a dispute. Your dispute is with the federal government in this matter and not the other parent. So, you are willing to drag them in and put your own custody and access on the line.

Also, if you have a final agreement / court order for what "material change in circumstance" are you going to even try to argue to have this heard before the SCJ? Because you "want" something. Good luck with that sir.

Good advice, and I did that. A few of them. They all thought it was a tough sell, but definitely worth the attempt. As I mentioned before, Section 9(a) does not mandate the set-off method, and judges have broad discretion to adjust the amounts.
                          Really would love for you to list the names of these barristers and solicitors who said it was "definitely worth the attempt". In fact, I challenge you to.

Actually, you can. If one parent refuses to address a real issue, the courts may be used to force mediation or other resolution. In fact, that may be what happens here. I'm considering applying for an order because:
                          You clearly have issues with "control". You want to force someone to do something through the courts. This is known as "legal abuse". What happens when you don't get what you want and the court orders otherwise? Back to court for another attempt?

Forced into mediation... Really, do you understand what "mediation" is as a process. If there is any undue influence then it isn't enforcable and no mediator would even agree to meet with you if either parent was forced into it even if court ordered.

1/ I feel I have *a chance* to win, and
                          2/ she refuses to acknowledge my complaint, never mind enter into a reasonable discussion about it.
                          You have no chance to win. If you present your arguments the way you are here you will surely lose and have costs on a substantial basis ordered against you. Also, I truly hope that the court orders that you no longer be able to bring any future motions forward without leave of the court's permission.

She isn't required

What choice do I have? I even offered mediation, and she wouldn't respond to the request. When there is a complaint, and one side refuses to engage, it's time to file.
                          Children are safe, child support guide lines are being followed and you are having your own personal financial issues and that you can't manage on 49,000 in after tax income.

Something tweaked in your brain on this one, Tayken, sorry. As I mentioned above, my "suffering" is purely financial, this is a problem I *do* want solved -- by the courts if necessary -- and I have in no way indicated any sort of vengence was sought.
                          You want to "control" the other parent and throw them into litigation because you can't manage your own personal finances. Sorry to say, you do have issues and probably need to seek therapy.

I'm not trying to harm her in any way, I merely seek the reasonable and rational resolution where we get equal amounts to spend on the kids when they're in our care.
                          You have more than equal amount to spend. See SadAndTired's comment which I fully support. Which should be amazing to you in consideration to the disagreement we have running on this board if you actually read more than your own "contributions".

Sadandtired, I will do a proper response and agreement to your very frank observation to this matter that is very appropriate and well stated. (Credit where credit due I say.)

We seem to have unearthed some sort of bias in you. Your statement is not in any way supported by things I've said.
                          See my above highlights where you in contravention of the hearsay rule again provide evidence to the fact that you are "controlling" and seeking the attention of the court to solve *your* problem. A problem that is yours and yours alone to solve and not the responsibility of the public court system.

Miss use the court system and you will be ordered to pay costs.

The "fact" is: the offset method provides *far more* money for my ex to spend on the kids than for me. This was well supported by the calculations I shared in the post. There is no emotion here, only math.
                          To that I provide you this link to consider regarding the difference between "math" and "feelings" people written by a highly qualified professional:

When Math People and Feelings People Negotiate

I hope she does, so she can at least be presented with my side of the argument.
                          You present yourself as a "math person" but, leveraging the above link to the article I quote:

Feelings people, on the other hand, usually don’t have a clear idea of what they want. They often feel that they have been taken advantage of, and they want to be compensated for their injury – whether it’s a personal injury claim, a business deal gone bad, or a divorce which included some “bad behavior” in their point of view (sometimes the math person agrees, but more often he or she doesn’t). They may feel entitled to a substantial settlement to make up for the past and/or to give them a feeling of security in the future. They may be in shock over what has happened to them, or they may be feeling much fear about what will become of them in the future. Feelings people may see themselves as facing impossible problems in the future, so that they need a substantial settlement to provide the security that they feel they cannot provide themselves.

Why can’t you see what you’ve done to me and how disadvantaged I will be in the future? they often ask. Why can’t you see how you’ll be so much better off than I will be? They feel helpless and seriously disrespected when their proposals are rejected. Discussions feel increasingly painful, as the math person seems to reject the feelings person’s point of view. The feelings person may feel abandoned and disrespected, especially if he or she was in a relationship with expectations of being taken care of – whether by an insurance company, a business partner, or a seemingly successful spouse.
                          So far I haven't heard any solid reason why the setoff method is fair. If I lose in court, it will be because of the general predisposition against the higher income earner, not because there's anything wrong (or emotional!) about my argument. That said, if I go to court, it will be with the hope and expectation that logic and reason (and math) will prevail.
                          Sorry to say, if it was incorrect there would be thousands upon thousands of Applications before the court with your complaints. The simple fact of the matter there isn't because most people are much more reasonable than you probably.

If, as a side effect, my filing gets my ex to talk, that would be lovely. But make no mistake, the *purpose* of filing is to get a court date and win.
                          You want to go to an adversarial system to "talk"? You want to go to a system of law where there is an Applicant and a Respondent to instigate communication with the other parent? Honestly, you really need to go down to the court house and sit in on some long motions and family law trials.

Court will only bring you to conflict and not "talking" with the other parent. It will only create more conflict. In fact, you present your argument wrong and come across as you are in these messages a judge may make an order regarding custody and access you do not like.

This is obviously a hot-button topic for you, Teyken, but please try to dig a little deeper before jumping on your soapbox.
                          Thank-you for providing more insight and evidence to the "emotional reasoning" behind your "facts" in this message and the others you provide. Your argument is incredibly weak and you will not find a willing justice on the stand who will listen to you.

In fact, spend some time searching CanLII and hopefully you will change your position. No one on this board will convince you otherwise.

Good Luck!
                          Tayken

Comment

Sadandtired, I have to agree with you 101% on this statement and very relevant observation to the fact.

What we are witnessing here is someone who is possibly applying "emotional reasoning" to their argument. A justice will come to the same conclusion on the balance of probabilities you so rightfully so identified.

The justice will even ask the same logical question too.

Good Luck!
                            Tayken

Comment

I was wondering that too McDreamy.

Seems to me that if he had four other children after the first two, that he should have learned to manage his finances before deciding to have more children. Or that the new spouse could get employment to help the cost of raising their four children.
                              Sorry, my fault -- a misunderstanding due to poor wording.

I have 2 other full-time kids; one with my new wife, one is her child from a previous relationship.

There's definitely an important point here. I can't try to argue that my expenses are too high *because* of my two other kids: the "First Family First" principle. I find that a little harsh, but I see the point, exactly as you said: you had the child support responsibility BEFORE you took on MORE responsibility, and you can't punish the original family because of that decision.

However, I think if you look at the outline of my income and expenses, I definitely don't give a lot to the new family. And my wife *is* seeking employment; but she's a new immigrant and her education is not recognized here, so it's been tough. When she's more gainfully employed it will definitely ease the stress on our finances.

However, these factors aside, unless a case of Undue Hardship is made (and I'm not making it), the other children and our other spouses are immaterial to the main argument: it is unfair for my ex to have $13,000/year to spend on our two children while I have $4,800.

Comment

Sadandtired, I have to agree with you 101% on this statement and very relevant observation to the fact.

What we are witnessing here is someone who is possibly applying "emotional reasoning" to their argument. A justice will come to the same conclusion on the balance of probabilities you so rightfully so identified.

The justice will even ask the same logical question too.

Good Luck!
                                Tayken
                                Tayken, did my math elude you in my response to this?

Trying to compare my $45,000 to her $36,000 is a logical error, unless spousal support is on the table. Which it isn't.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X