Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dividing the holidays - what works for your family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does everyone handle 2 christmases and 2 Santas? Last year child was with ex and we celebrated Christmas before with gift exchange and a family dinner with all our favourite treats. Child went to Dads for Christmas Eve and Day so assume he did the stocking and Santa etc.

This year child is with Mom so she will do Christmas Eve, stockings, Santa gifts under the tree etc etc. But recently dad told child that Santa was coming after Christmas and he would have a stocking and santa gifts all over again. He is in effect recreating Christmas.

Its his choice if that is what he wants to do but how do you handle explaining to a child that although Santa comes once a year on Christmas Eve he is making an exception and coming again a week later!

It will not take long before the child will figure out the truth well before the age children usually believe to.

Seems kinda sad. How does others handle the situation? Is Mom wrong to suggest Santa only comes once and always knows where to find child at either parents home?

Comment

That's indeed a tough situation. D3 has sat on Santa's knee 3 times in different cities, saw him in separate parades and then gave her gifts at her playgroup.

Santa get's around.

The key is to not spoil the magic. Santa's magical. If he's seen that the child has been "extra good" this year he may make an extra stop.

Perhaps one of the elves forgot to add some toys to the bag this year so Santa had to make 2 trips.

A fun, magical imagination will solve this.

Comment

Santa visits both our house and their mom's house. This year they spend Xmas eve/day with Mom and we pick them up Boxing Day. Santa still comes on Christmas eve, the presents and stockings just wait for them to come on boxing day. Santa recognizes the kids have two homes and makes sure he visits both.

S9 is at the age where he is starting to not believe in Santa, I don't know what will go on at Mom's house this year, but as far as we know D6 still believes. Honestly, "Santa" still visits my parents house and there is always a stocking and small gift waiting for everyone there (all 12 of us) Santa truly is magical

Comment

It's Santa! He is magical! He flies around the world at warp speed with a harem of reindeer! He knows these kids have two homes! Santa is also very accommodating. He ensures he comes no matter what day of the year each divorced parent celebrates.

Let's not over complicate the Santa thing!

Comment

Thanks. The comments are reassuring. I guess you are right lets not over complicate things, he is such a good little boy he deserves 2 Santas

Comment

My moron ex gave me the 2 weeks of christmas so she could go see her boyfriend last year now she has no boyfriend and I still have my 2 weeks... she gets 1 week of spring break though....

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X