Calculating Section 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating Section 7

My agreement says we pay in proportion to our incomes. When ex was paying. He only ever paid half. I didn’t normally dispute that as I was just happy he paid something.

Now we are bringing a motion finally to enforce the agreement and try to collect the arrears.

Should I go back and recalculate what ex should have paid vs what he paid?

Do I do this simply to show the judge ?

He actually did this in his CC brief a year ago regarding child support. For 3 years it said he over paid a total of $218. Lol. Also he never once gave me his t4 or taxes so it could be recalculated.

We have our SC end of March. Lawyer will bring motion for the following week and hope judge will hear it at SC...

So I need to gather things for two different court appearances for paperwork

Thoughts?

Still can’t open Ottawa_dads spreadsheet. Can anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes do a spreadsheet showing what should have been paid vs what was paid. And show what is then owing due to the discrepancy. I’ve done it with. A few calculations since I had to estimate the Respondent’s income (ie this is the proportion of sec 7 and amount owing if they earned $75,000, this is the amount is they earned $85,000). That way when the actual amount of income is detiremented you have the calculations ready to go.

Judges want it to be as simple as possible, something they can look at and agree with, preferably one page (or, if it needs to be more than one page, have a one page summary with the supporting documentation following it). Really, you want to convince the Respondent that your figures are accurate, they can dispute how they shouldn’t have to pay because their poodle-hair grooming hobby eats up too much of their money to pay section 7, but let that be their argument rather than arguing over the amounts themselves. If you can walk into court with as much agreed as possible beforehand it just goes smoother. Maybe a form 20 agree to admit would get you to an agreed statement of facts?

Comment

Wow thanks. Ex doesn’t agree to anything. Lol.

I can show where he only paid 50% because I wasn’t told income.

At least the short fall could cover what he says I owe him back in child support. Except he never ever asked me to re calculate it. Isn’t the onus on him?

Now after 6 years all of a sudden his income went down 3k with no reasonable examination

Our agreement states that if either of or know if an increase or decrease we are to divulge this when it’s knows.

Also it says CS recalculation to happen in June and take effect the following month. Except now I have been given 2018 t4 and they are demanding he reduce support back to Jan 1.

The agreement doesn’t say retroactive.

Comment

The onus is on you to be accurate and up to date on your income and amount of CS owed. The Family Law Act trumps any agreement, so if there is a discrepancy between the two parts of the agreement will be set aside, retroactivity is generally three years prior to the original ask however. Your agreement however states the change in CS is to take place the month after the change actually happens, not the month after it is revealed

Comment

Originally posted by tilt View Post
          The onus is on you to be accurate and up to date on your income and amount of CS owed. The Family Law Act trumps any agreement, so if there is a discrepancy between the two parts of the agreement will be set aside, retroactivity is generally three years prior to the original ask however. Your agreement however states the change in CS is to take place the month after the change actually happens, not the month after it is revealed

So the onus is on my ex?? He is the payor..
          so how do we know when the change actually happens??? If it’s not reported to well after the fact. Sorry I’m confused. Doesn’t take much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mom 2 Two View Post
            So the onus is on my ex?? He is the payor..
            so how do we know when the change actually happens??? If it’s not reported to well after the fact. Sorry I’m confused. Doesn’t take much.

so the back child support is money that he actually overpaid that he wants back? When you said back CS that you owe people may think that you are the payor and you didnt update your income.

Comment

Yes, I thought you also paid him CS based on that comment. Your agreement was to share NOA every June, but retro would go to when the change actually happened. Ask to see his pay stubs to detiremine when the change happened, and ask for an explanation of why is went down (incomes usually go up...). If you don’t have his NOAs for all the years ask for those too.

If ex doesn’t agree to anything it works in your favour. Show how they rejected Agreed Statement of Facts to show they are unreasonable. Show multiple requests for updated income info and proactive disclosure by you.

Comment

Aww ok. Sorry for confusing the facts. I meant that when motion started. His lawyer went and did a chart to show each year what he should have paid for what his income was. But he never told me in those years. So I never knew it changed. It was only $218 total for the last three years he claims that he overpaid. Now just this past week. His Lawyer sent 2018 t4. And all of a sudden after 6 years his income went down. ( convenient) So yes. I told the lawyer he needs to show why? (Based on Rockscan suggestions) And based on the part of our agreement I attached... I read it as he should have told me right away when he knew his income was changing (dropping). I think he just purposely took extra time off unpaid. They are demanding I agree to a basket motion to the lessor support amount from his 2018 t4.

I was going to go back the last 4 years and calculate what he should have been paying. For sec 7. Now I have his proper income... when he was paying. He paid 50%. But should have been more. Some years 60-62%.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
                  so the back child support is money that he actually overpaid that he wants back? When you said back CS that you owe people may think that you are the payor and you didnt update your income.

Yes. Sorry. He says for 2014, 16,17 he overpaid by 218$ total. Lol That just shows how stable his income was for each year. Always within couple $100. Now this year. 2018 t4 is less $3000. It’s about 3 weeks time off. And I’m pretty sure I can say the weeks he was off. This years 2019 income should go back to the same as usual. And yes it’s quite questionable why his income never goes up. He is an hourly mechanic. Clearly a crappy one. :-/

Comment

It sounds like you have a good handle on your case. Lower your expectation that he will be honourable or honest though, if he was a great guy you would still be married to him, lol.

Comment

Your lawyer is good and will deal with this. As far as our legal advice was (going back to 2013) that you update immediately when it goes up or down. We tried that but the ex disagreed when it went down. Ditto for your ex when his income goes up. Plus you can make an argument for the section 7. You didnt update but accepted less s7. That can go into an offer to settle.

I would also request a letter from his employer outlining what his current income is. Plus a reason why it suddenly changed.

The problem will be going forward that he doesn’t want to update when it increases. Then you have to go back to court.

His lawyer is a bully and hes demonstrating bullying tactics. Ignore them. Your lawyer is smarter and much more capable.

Comment

Originally posted by tilt View Post
                        It sounds like you have a good handle on your case. Lower your expectation that he will be honourable or honest though, if he was a great guy you would still be married to him, lol.

Very good point. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                          Your lawyer is good and will deal with this. As far as our legal advice was (going back to 2013) that you update immediately when it goes up or down. We tried that but the ex disagreed when it went down. Ditto for your ex when his income goes up. Plus you can make an argument for the section 7. You didnt update but accepted less s7. That can go into an offer to settle.

I would also request a letter from his employer outlining what his current income is. Plus a reason why it suddenly changed.

The problem will be going forward that he doesn’t want to update when it increases. Then you have to go back to court.

His lawyer is a bully and hes demonstrating bullying tactics. Ignore them. Your lawyer is smarter and much more capable.

Except he told me that there isn t much we can do about his income going down... and that like what you said I will have to go through that gov agency each year to see if he will update me through that. And I said ya he just won’t agree to do it. And then I am back to court.

What pisses me off is that I have to take all sorts of time off work for the kids appointments. School functions and therapy appointments. Sports and so on. He is notified of all. Doesn’t show up and then I have to do all of it and make up the time at work so I get paid the same because I can’t afford to get paid less... perhaps that can by my sob story to the judge at settlement conference when I get to speak.

Thinking about it now... ex took off a week to move... a week for March break... two weeks in the summer. And he only entitled to two week vacation... so prob another 4 days here and there due to doing stuff with gf and her kids. He sure doesn’t take his own kids Extra to anything special. Rant over.

Comment

I think you are unfortunately stuck with this situation, you can't make him parent and act in the kids best interests. His income is taken at face value, he might even be taking the time as "unpaid leave" but you can't prove it and have to adjust support based on it.

I'm in a similar situation, I pay a lot of support because my ex doesn't work and I pay for 100% of expenses because she won't pay. I've gotten a little more selective, but my options are to let child go without or just pay for it. There isn't much recourse.

Sorry for this situation, but you are often best to try to focus on child and accept that it's not fair. At least, this is what I've had to do.

Comment

Yep... I’m starting to think there isn’t much I can do. Except we have an agreement filed with courts. So he should be upheld to pay arrears based on what he agreed to right?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X