Definition of "Full Time" Student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definition of "Full Time" Student

I have a son that was kicked out of school last year and has been sporadically attending an "Alternative" High School. He turned 18 in March and I have continued with CS. Is he still considered a "Full Time" Student? My agreement states that when he is 18 and is attending full time education then I am to continue. I would just like to clarify before I approach X about ceasing CS. I had 2 others and it was a lot easier with their CS termination - the 3rd one is a charm TIA for all your input.

An alternative school is still school. If the kid attends classes all day every day, it's full time whether a traditional or alternative school.

Comment

There in lies the question. He does not go all day. He goes from 9 to noon. There is no organized class or teacher. The kids/adults just given books and lessons to complete

Comment

Its not worth the fight. He goes to school. Wait until hes done this year and then fight it.

Comment

I believe its consider full time school.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachnana View Post
            I believe its consider full time school.
            Agree with Beachnana.

Comment

I have recently discovered that the alternative school requires full time students to attend 210 minutes per day.

Comment

Ok....so you want to shaft your kid out of CS for a difference of 40 minutes?

Your kid is in school. That's a good thing.

Comment

Yes I agree. He is in school. Wait until he is done

Comment

Thanks for the judgement Blinkandiamgone - I was asking for a definition. I wish he was in school - he barely makes it for 210 mins a week.

Comment

Whether or not he attends is moot. If hes registered for a full time course load, thats what is considered. If your ex can demonstrate that, your argument to stop paying wont fly.

If you feel that strongly about it, send a request to your ex. Advise her that if you dont receive proof of full time registration you will seek to cease CS. More than likely she'll come back with the proof. If not, do what you feel is best but prepare for backlash from your ex and kid.

Several people on this forum have advised that last year "victory lap" for 18 year olds is common and accepted as the additional year of support. Alternative schools can still demonstrate they operate as an educational institution.

Comment

Thank you Rockscan - this my 3rd shot at the CS cessation rodeo- We also have a 26yr old and 23 yr old that was part of the original CS circus.

I want to reiterate that I am NOT trying to "Get Out" of or "Shaft" our son out of CS. Im quite happy to pay for his continued education now and if/when he decides to go to Post Secondary. Ive been through that with the our older boys. My issue this time round is I need to force his Dad(Custodial Parent) to not give up on him and help me keep our son going to school. If a threat of CS cessation will encourage Dad to step up to the plate and help keep him in school then I will do it. Hence the question of "full time student" and "alternative high school"

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X