Canadian Military endemic with sexual harassment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Military endemic with sexual harassment

What a painful review of our military system, and certainly a good read.

Now I understand why certain of our military member(s) posting here is/are as misogynistic as he(they) is/are, and posts daily negative gender commentary. It appears our military continues to consent to promoting misogyny from within.

What I don't understand (and likely never will), is why other military members don't step in and insist the behavior stops, from one of their own. I wouldn't let this nonsense happen with the people I work with, in my office. A movie in the making, perhaps?

Nevertheless, I look forward to spending my tax dollars on knocking these ones down:

Harassment in Canada's military tolerated by leadership, former justice finds - Politics - CBC News

Source: CBC.ca - Canadian News Sports Entertainment Kids Docs Radio TV
    Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Yes I have noted the misogynistic "attitude" which comes across quite clearly on here. At times these posts come across to me as paranoid; poster is convinced all women are out to ruin men.

I hope those "alpha janes" in the military aren't turning a blind eye to this behavior. Cudos to those boys and girls who do speak out.

Comment

Playing devil's advocate...and nobody condones harassment of any kind..be it gender, race (although this is debatable when you hear some people talk) etc. This issue is not specific to the military now is it? The police force, public sector workplace, firefighters, RCMP, Paramedics are just a few of the places where this also happens, and unless someone is delusional in the little town (boonies) they live in, then they will know this is an issue that transcends all places of work.

Saying that it appears that an organization "consents" to such despicable behaviour, is purporting assumptions which seem out to lunch.

Comment

It seems to me that some of the most blatant misogynists on this forum over the past 3-4 years have been members of the military. Sad thing is that these people will very likely go on to instil same values in their children.

Comment

In the middle of my ex's gold digging activities, she stated that I was a misogynist.

I politely pointed out that wasn't true. I simply hated her now.

Comment

Wow....just like how spousal support claimants and false domestic violence (in order to gain custody and matrimonial home) people will go on to instil this in their children right? Oh wait, that can't be so

Originally posted by arabian View Post
            It seems to me that some of the most blatant misogynists on this forum over the past 3-4 years have been members of the military. Sad thing is that these people will very likely go on to instil same values in their children.

Comment

It's the most common accusation along with Narcissist, and other delusional names directed at men to convince themselves that they are the sane one, which in essence just means a man that refuses to be used as door stopper, or one that won't say how high do you want me to jump honey.

There are many a Misandrists out there, and it starts with thinking they are the better parent, making up sh1t to get custody, going after spousal support because they have low self esteem to stand on their own 2 feet, and just let emotions run wild because they got dumped.

Originally posted by piggybanktoex View Post
              In the middle of my ex's gold digging activities, she stated that I was a misogynist.

I politely pointed out that wasn't true. I simply hated her now.

Comment

Hilarious. Mcdreamy I agree with your initial thread comments 100%

Comment

Ideally, the armed forces, and everywhere actually, should be bias-free with credit based on merit.

That said, the differences between the genders is real as well and some joking around should and could be tolerated, in the right circumstances and context.

It can be a slippery slope as what is funny to one person, is not funny to another. Always better to err on the side of caution, politeness, and respect.

Except in cases of vindictive ex-wives....that's that credit/merit thing.

Comment

^ Ex wives and merit in the same sentence, definitely an oxymoron. Now that is hilarious

Comment

One person' "joking around" is another person's "harassment" (indeed, one of the most common excuses for harassment is "come on, we were just kidding. Can't you take a joke?"). There's no reason why comments about gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, etc need to be made in any workplace.

Military members (like many other uniformed services - police, fire, etc) sometimes operate with a sense of entitlement that has been drilled into them as they are reminded constantly that they are the few, the chosen, they are heroes, they make sacrifices for the rest of us, etc. This can lead to a self-perpetuating culture of privilege: whatever we do must be okay because we are above petty rules and restrictions.

I've met some sterling members of the armed forces who behave with great integrity and bravery, and I've also met some real bottom-feeders who just like the fact that they can carry a big gun and live out video-game fantasies. Bring on the civilian oversight!

Comment

One person' "joking around" is another person's "harassment" (indeed, one of the most common excuses for harassment is "come on, we were just kidding. Can't you take a joke?").
                        The most common being race (gets a lot of denial), with bigots and small minded boonies folks usually accusing people of "playing the race card". I am sure you've noticed that when it comes to race, there usually isn't a "we" all condone racism group..why is that?

Bring on the civilian oversight!
                        Ah...this usually works two ways, lower staffer trying to climb the ladder, and flirting with the boss / banging them, or the boss taking a shine to a certain employee and banging them. What is that saying...don't crap where you eat.

Look forward to some delusional insights here, but won't hold my breathe.

Reminder:It's a two way traffic i.e. both male and female are at the receiving end of it
                        Sexual harassment is any event that occurs in the workplace that discriminates against
                        one’s sex or sexual orientation. It also includes displaying inappropriate behaviours
                        of a sexual nature which leave the victim uncomfortable. Human Rights Tribunals
                        in Canada take into account how the victim feels about the behaviour and not the
                        intentions of the harasser when deciding sexual harassment cases.
                        http://www.ufcw.ca/templates/ufcwcan...4_EN_email.pdf

Comment

This is why forward-thinking organizations have "vertical fraternization" policies. You can't have a sexual relationship with anyone who is higher or lower than you in the organizational hierarchy, regardless of whether both parties consent - too much potential for coercion, favoritism, harassment, abuse of power, etc. If you want to have an affair with someone who is at the same level as you, that's different.

Comment

Originally posted by serendipitous View Post
                            Playing devil's advocate...and nobody condones harassment of any kind...
                            Untrue. As the report says, the Canadian military leadership does indeed condone and/or turn a blind eye to sexual harassment.

Originally posted by serendipitous View Post
                            Saying that it appears that an organization "consents" to such despicable behaviour, is purporting assumptions which seem out to lunch.
                            You disagree with the Retired Supreme Court justice? If you ever read her 102 page report, we’d love to hear more delusional insights on her findings. And of course, there is now an internal response team set up that I’m sure would appreciate your insights as well.
                            Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

I have to say, I still have never actually personally witnessed any sexism except against me in family court. I've noticed bias towards to hot women but that is about it. I would really like to see an incident of sexism happen in front of me.... it'd be very interesting.

You disagree with the Retired Supreme Court justice?
                              Meh, fallacy of authority. There are good judges and bad.

I'd disband the army, a tool of the imperialists, a part of the military industrial complex, a waste of money and where young men go to die and old men return from to be crazy.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X