View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 12:06 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

If the two of you exchange financial information and allow for a time period to examine (perhaps a month?) then I don't really know what your problem is. I did this with my ex. When he presented silly invoices I requested corroborating bank statements. If he was unable to provide that information I deleted the expense. When we sat with a judge we presented our independent figures and judge made the decision. I opted for binding arbitration instead of trial as we had no child issues. Our 30 year marriage, with business, was decided/arbitrated in one day with direction of a judge.

You can make things difficult (which will cost you dearly with legal fees and frustration) or you can simplify things and make good offers to settle. If you are going into your negotiations trying to be a right-fighter then you will lose miserably.

Compromise and be realistic. Deal with facts.

BTW - unless your lawyer has a separate degree in business (which few have) the lawyer likely knows less than you do about your business. Sometimes your best (and least expensive resources) are your bank manager and your accountant. Forget "forensic" accountants unless you have an extremely complicated financial situation with many partners or trusts. If you can't read/understand simple bank accounts then you should bone-up on simple accounting before spending mega-bucks on expensive accountants. Don't let your emotions drive your good sense. "Think before you retain."

Last edited by arabian; 03-16-2016 at 12:10 AM.