Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get it.. however, you cant change FRO only a court order can. So there either is something in your husbands final minutes or agreement that has a pretty "open" shared expense clause. It sucks, but this is where people need to be specific as to what is agreed upon, a lawyer who is on top of things or have a judge decide what will ride. No one can change what FRO takes or doesn't take. The problem I had with my ex was that our final minutes stated that we would share costs -However, I was not specfic in what costs and ended up having to consume pretty much all the costs of everything by myself.. I called FRO and they said that they did not have an order to garnish or change any amounts and that I would have to revisit court to have a new order made that was specific. Each case is so individual - and paper, high lighters etc does seem crazy, however FRO can only enforce this through an order - so something isnt right or clear here. also if the trial judge says that some of the expenses were not legit did he or she tell you what you needed to do about it? Or if you have a lawyer did your lawyer suggest the next step would be?

Comment

I have a court order for my ex to pay support and it is in the process of going through fro because he refuses to pay. I assume that fro will also get the arrears owed as well. I thought fro was there to make sure the support was paid. I can't comment on how they are with the payor of support I just hope that they can get support to me soon. Making ends meet isn't working so well right now.

Comment

Originally posted by runaway View Post
        I have a court order for my ex to pay support and it is in the process of going through fro because he refuses to pay. I assume that fro will also get the arrears owed as well. I thought fro was there to make sure the support was paid. I can't comment on how they are with the payor of support I just hope that they can get support to me soon. Making ends meet isn't working so well right now.
        If you are lucky (a matter of statistics) -- all the paperwork is in order, case is assigned promptly, no hiccups etc. -- you should be receiving support within their service standard of 30-60 days. However, if by chance you happen to fall into the majority (again, a matter of statistics), then be prepared to wait up to 5-7 months or more for your payments to start rolling in. I would advise that you start to put together some kind of financial contingency plan in place for yourself in case it turns out to be the latter scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by neverending View Post
          I get it.. however, you cant change FRO only a court order can.
          True to an extent... you know how many people report to FRO that their ex are behind on payments and FRO starts garnishing their wages WITHOUT a court order? Once in FRO its basically the party who is getting paid gets to call all the shots... Section 7 for example... one parent can submit any receipt and FRO will garnish the paying parent without question...JUST because their was already an existing court order.

Comment

I have not heard of just submitting receipts to FRO... I was informed not only by FRO, but my lawyer and the judge who last dealt with my case that in order for funds to be garnished above what was already court ordered, that I would need to go back to court and have the courts notify FRO through court order that receipts can be submitted (notorized). Infact that is what I am in the process of doing right now. My ex changes employment regularly and each time he does it takes about 8 weeks to receive support. This is because the employeer has 30 days to submit to FRO. So they could wait till the 30th day and then mail it all in... it may take some time to get the ball rolling, but in my case once that happened support became regular (at least for as long as my ex was employed).

Comment

Neverending, does you ex paid FRO directly ?sounds like it works for you .Dont want work involved in this , thanks so much

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X