Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CP refuses to use proper safety seats.

Even though I have asked and emailed numerous times, she refuses to use a proper child safety seat and instead uses a booster seat. Even though our child weighs 17KG which is under weight by 1 kg (2.2lbs) for being in a booster seat. She replaced the child safety seat with the booster seat for convenience.

Am I being overly critical with the safety of our children?

Please give me a reality check.

Paul.

Children under the age of eight, who weigh 18 kg or more but less than 36 kg (40-80 lbs.), and who stand less than 145 cm (57 ins. or 4 ft. 9 ins.) must travel in a booster seat that meets the CMVSS.

IF you child is under 8 years AND under 18kg weight AND less than 145 cm height, then your ex MUST use the child safety seat. It is not safety question, it is the law. You didn't mention the age and the height of you child, and then answer depends on 3 factors (age, weight, height)

Comment

My child is only 4, 100cm and 17kg.
      But what do I do call the police on her? get a court order?

Comment

So when your child gains another 1kg, the booster is OK.

The child does not meet the requirement for a booster seat, but is only 2 lbs away. Yes, it's technically offisde, but is it really worth starting a big fight about it?

I would be thinking most particularly about the part that the law doesn't mandate. Does the shoulder strap cut across the child's chest or neck???? If the neck, serious injury, or worse, can result.

Common sense is the play here, not technical compliance.

Comment

tough question. The law is clear about it, it doesn't require interpretation from the court. The police can warn her. If they catch her in the act of transporting your child AND they will undress your child (she might be more than 18 kg in clothes) and measure her there immediately, then they will give her a ticket and a few demerit points.
          Maybe remind her about the law and cross your fingers that nothing happens in the next few months until your kid can sit in the booster seat legally, otherwise you could be held legally responsible knowing about the safety issue and not doing anything about it. So I don't know what I would do in this case. (my ex transported our daughter without any kind of booster seat, I just swallowed it but it was a one-off occasion as she doesn't have a car)

Comment

Originally posted by rszalai View Post
            Maybe remind her about the law and cross your fingers that nothing happens in the next few months until your kid can sit in the booster seat legally)
            The legality is not going to guarantee the child's safety. On the other hand, common sense goes a long way.

Originally posted by rszalai View Post
            otherwise you could be held legally responsible knowing about the safety issue and not doing anything about it.
            Aside from the fact that he did email and ask several times, I doubt that the cops are going to charge him if anything happens.

Comment

I'm afraid she lacks common sense, at lease in parenting.
              It's just that I still have our child in the full safety seat. I would also like to get rid of it but my sense is safety before convience (within reason of course). I mean she is choosing convience over safety. She does this with other aspects of parenting but this here is what is bothering me at the moment. Like I said I've made my ojections know but she is unwilling to admit that she is doing anything wrong. Why can't see wait a few months I don't understand.

I'm not as worried at being charge as if something God forbid happened I don't know what I would do, certainly can not see myself forgiving her.

Oh, and she does not trust my parenting, humm.

Comment

Oh and at 100cm the seat best goes across the neck...even more worrisome.

Comment

Unfortunately in that seat the injury would be exactly the same for a 17kg and for a 19kg child, so the 18kg legal limit is just a legal limit, it itself it doesn't have anything to do with safety.

Stupid situation for sure, unnecessarily generated by the ex.

Comment

Originally posted by CycleDad View Post
                    Oh and at 100cm the seat best goes across the neck...even more worrisome.
                    That's what I thought. Booster seats do have that clip that you can use to lower the seat belt so it goes across the chest, but if she's doing this out of convenience it's not a stretch to think that she's not bothering to use the clip.

If she doesn't listen to you, call the CAS. Forget your ex, you won't forgive yourself if something happens.

Comment

If the child meets one of the recommended limits (either height or weight) you can move the child out of the seat. Not really recommended though.

My daughter is well over the height limit for her child seat so I had to move her into a booster even though she is still under the weight limit. She no longer fit length-wise in the child seat, and as she is quite thin I could have been waiting another year or more for her to meet both limits. I did make sure that the seat belt fits properly over he shoulder.

I think leaving a child in a car seat that is too small is just as dangerous as putting a child that is too small in a booster seat. You just have to use your judgement.

Comment

In oder to move from child seat to booster seat the law only specifies weight of over 18kg but I'm going to check how well my child fits into the car seat as far as lenght.

Comment

Safe & Secure: Choosing the right car seat for your child

Comment

thanks for link.

CD

Comment

One of my kids is tiny, she was in a booster seat until 11 years of age. We all hated it for the inconvenience but for the safety of it, until she hit the height/weight requirement, she was in it. It can take a long time for some kids to gain those extra few pounds, depends on the kid but it takes my girl an average of 18 - 24 months to gain 3 pounds. That's a long time for a kid to be in an improperly fitted seat with a belt across the neck.

I would push the issue, for safety's sake, send her all the safety information and include some information on the results of improperly used car seats. At that point you have to decide if you'll move it forward through CAS. Good luck!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X