Question about parenting time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about parenting time

My marriage was abusive. In all of the ways. I left a year ago. We meet to exchange our children at a Tim Hortons. My ex is not allowed at my house and I am not comfortable going to his.

In April we got a custody order. My ex is supposed to have our children every other weekend for 4 nights as his work schedule allows.

My ex hurt himself last week and required surgery on Tuesday to repair the damage done to his leg. He messaged today to let me know that he cannot drive, do stairs or take care of the children for long periods of time. He told me to bring the children to his house for a few hours and pick them up every day. He lives about 20km out of town.

I do not feel comfortable doing this. Will there be any negative repercussions to me if I do not do this?

This is my first post, please ask anything that you need to be able to give me the best advice.

How old are the kids?

Comment

If he cannot take care of the kids for long periods of time I would ask the ex if they would be open to switching weekends to a weekend when they are more mobile. That it would save the kids a lot of back and forth, and allow him to actually enjoy the weekend with the kids. Offer him 3 different weekends to choose one from.

If he doesn't agree and wants the kids, I would drop them off because it is easier than dealing with the repercussions of not. Given the description, he isn't mobile, so I wouldn't be really a threat if they can't move. If the kids are older (like 6+) you can drop them off at the curb and watch them go into the house.

Comment

They are 4 & 6

Comment

I would offer to meet his designated third party at the Tim Hortons, or allow his designated third party to pick the kids up/drop them back to your house - but no way would I drive 40 km twice a day for his convenience - that is a huge imposition on you (where I am that is like 4 hours of driving in just one day!) I doubt a judge would ask that of you. (plus judges do not like to hear of kids that young being in a car for that long unnecessarily)

Important thing is to offer a reasonable compromise (preferably two) so if this did go before a judge you can show you were willing to be flexible. Being flexible does not mean you doing whatever your ex wants however. If your ex can't find a third party willing to help him out, that is on him and reflects on his social skills and support network.

Comment

Originally posted by tilt View Post
            I would offer to meet his designated third party at the Tim Hortons, or allow his designated third party to pick the kids up/drop them back to your house - but no way would I drive 40 km twice a day for his convenience - that is a huge imposition on you (where I am that is like 4 hours of driving in just one day!) I doubt a judge would ask that of you. (plus judges do not like to hear of kids that young being in a car for that long unnecessarily)

Important thing is to offer a reasonable compromise (preferably two) so if this did go before a judge you can show you were willing to be flexible. Being flexible does not mean you doing whatever your ex wants however. If your ex can't find a third party willing to help him out, that is on him and reflects on his social skills and support network.

Not sure where you live but where I live 20kms (which I drive twice a day) is only 10-15 minutes so max 1 hour a day...

I’d offer to drive them once this weekend, say tomorrow, and then in a couple weeks if he’s better he can have a make up weekend. You’re under no obligation to drive them but it’s about your children, not how much you hate each other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Traffic man. Totally sucks. 40k in Toronto and its suburbs are brutal; 40k at my cottage is a nice Sunday drive. (Am I mathing wrong or is driving 20 km in 10 mins saying that you are driving 120km an hour from a dead stop to a dead stop with no slowing down or stops?)
              Last edited by tilt; 08-02-2019, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I drive 20 km one way to work daily and it normally takes me 15 mins. Sometimes a few minutes more or less but never more than 25.

Comment

Your ex sounds like a bully, just by how you framed your original post. The fact that he told you. Boundaries with abusive ex partners are necessary. The leeway that other co-parents may have is not applicable in your situation.

Don't ask him.

How long is he going to be in recovery?

Give him a few options. Like the ones Hammer dad said- if he's not mobile enough to take care of them now- offer make up time. Because a 4 year old still needs oversight- and a 6 year old is not old enough to do that.

You can also offer to do the driving for one or two days on a weekend, provided that he has someone there to watch the kids. Not the entire time.

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                  I’d offer to drive them once this weekend, say tomorrow, and then in a couple weeks if he’s better he can have a make up weekend. You’re under no obligation to drive them but it’s about your children, not how much you hate each other

When there is abuse- this idea of "put the kids first, doesn't matter how much you hate each other"- isn't the right sentiment. It's safety of the kids, safety for the individual parents, then the kids comfort, etc etc...

It's not going to harm the kids if they miss a weekend or two of seeing him.

The OP does not need to be sacrificing her safety.

Comment

Question about parenting time

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
                    Your ex sounds like a bully, just by how you framed your original post. The fact that he told you. Boundaries with abusive ex partners are necessary. The leeway that other co-parents may have is not applicable in your situation.

Don't ask him.

How long is he going to be in recovery?

Give him a few options. Like the ones Hammer dad said- if he's not mobile enough to take care of them now- offer make up time. Because a 4 year old still needs oversight- and a 6 year old is not old enough to do that.

You can also offer to do the driving for one or two days on a weekend, provided that he has someone there to watch the kids. Not the entire time.

When there is abuse- this idea of "put the kids first, doesn't matter how much you hate each other"- isn't the right sentiment. It's safety of the kids, safety for the individual parents, then the kids comfort, etc etc...

It's not going to harm the kids if they miss a weekend or two of seeing him.

Her children are also old enough to walk from the vehicle to their house seeing as they are in school and I assume are able to walk and run around at school. It should always be about the children. I’m sorry you disagree with that. They meet at Tim Hortons so they obviously see each other face to face. Dropping them off in the driveway and watching them walk in the house is a pretty simple thing to do. Missing time with their father they only see EOW could very well upset the children. Will they be harmed? No... but either will the OP by dropping them in the driveway if she’s not comfortable going up to the door... my guess is that would be less communication then they have when they exchange at Tim Hortons

Last edited by Berner_Faith; 08-02-2019, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tilt View Post
                      Traffic man. Totally sucks. 40k in Toronto and its suburbs are brutal; 40k at my cottage is a nice Sunday drive. (Am I mathing wrong or is driving 20 km in 10 mins saying that you are driving 120km an hour from a dead stop to a dead stop with no slowing down or stops?)

Your math is off... town is 22kms... it takes me 10-15 min depending on traffic and this is driving 80km and slowing down to 50km for 2 concessions. Yes city driving can for sure take longer but 4 hours seems extreme

Comment

The issue for me is that he has an electric gate to get in and out of his property that I no longer have the code for. This makes me nervous having to rely on him to let me leave his property.

Also, he is a bully and expects me to bend to his will all of the time. He knew he was having surgery almost a week in advance and he did not make arrangements for the children.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustanggirl71 View Post
                          The issue for me is that he has an electric gate to get in and out of his property that I no longer have the code for. This makes me nervous having to rely on him to let me leave his property.

Also, he is a bully and expects me to bend to his will all of the time. He knew he was having surgery almost a week in advance and he did not make arrangements for the children.

You asked if there would be any negative repercussions... the basic answer is no, not likely, however you should be offering make up time, he has communicated with you to attempt to make a plan to see the children and you’re not willing to bend. Maybe it won’t bite you this time, but it could down the road... your children are young and you guys have years of parenting ahead of you. Things like this are going to come up and who knows, maybe next time it will be you who can’t do the driving. Ultimately you’re decision but I feel for the children who won’t see their father and who have parents that can’t coparent

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
                            She is probably more likely to die in a car accident than to be assaulted on the doorstep of her ex who just got seriously injured.

Sometimes, "safety" fears are so ridiculous it feels like the person must know that it is not credible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustanggirl71 View Post

then do not go through the gate. Once you get there text him or whatever and he can open the gate and the kids can walk through. If its too far for them to walk then he can meet them on the other side.

Yes your ex may be a bully etc but sometimes its best to take the higher ground. You never know what the future may bring and someday you may need a favor from him.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X