View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 12:23 PM

v3ktors is on a distinguished road

I don't know that I have a lot of great advice for you, but I do have some experience I can share. I have a child with severe anxiety, and a step-child who is on the autism scale. Though I've had a 50/50 arrangement with my ex since separation, there was a time where my daughter stayed with her mother for a full year and didn't want to see me. Many months later, after a court-appointed lawyer and social worker for my child, their conclusion was (although they didn't come right out and say it) that there was parental alienation happening to some degree. The courts returned our original 50/50 arrangement, and things have gone well for the past 5 years.

All that being said, from the alienation and visitation side of things, my suggestion would be to show a unified message (and maybe you're already doing this). You and your ex should sit with your son and provide the same message about seeing his dad. That way, your ex sees that you are making an honest attempt at encouraging their relationship, and your son sees that he can't play one parent off the other (not that he is necessarily doing that).

I don't have a lot of experience from the developmentally delayed side of things, but I have learned that being consistent in your approach and message is a very good starting point.