Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child support - retroactive issues

Hello,

I have a good question for you. I field an application to finally get full custody of my child - on paper. I have had full custody for 2 years now (but continued to include the ex on some outings and such with our child during that period). I left my ex 2 years ago. Right after that, we went before a mediator and we both signed a document indicating that I would have full custody and that my ex would pay an amount (albeit small) as child support (although my ex made more money than I did, I did not want to push the issue because my ex is VERY sensitive about departing with any amounts of money). Well, these funds did not go for child support, but instead, my ex used them to pay less than their fair share of daycare costs. (I know that child support and daycare do not come out of the same Child support "bank", but my ex is stubborn). Regardless, let's fast forward to two years later (now). I applied for custody, and my ex's response yesterday was that they said they believed that we were in a relationship the entire time until they received a copy of my application. In their reply, they even stated that we had "intimate relations". Holy cow! My lawyer tells me that this is some attempt at trying to avoid having to pay any retro support (2 years worth). Now, this person hasn't been to my home in more than a year, never came to any of my family functions (birthday's, bbq's, and so on), and if we were together, it was never without our child being there. Actually I had a one year relationship with someone during that period, and then I developed a problem whereby - for now - any intimate relations would be painful until surgery (soon). Furthermore, I registered on an online dating site twice during this two year period ( I have the receipts for this too). So, does my ex have a leg to stand on? Child support is Child support and we have been living apart for 2 years, so that amount is still owning correct?
    Your infinite wisdom on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, we were never married and we were never common law.

Comment

Originally posted by KidsAreWorthIt View Post
      Hello,

I have a good question for you. I field an application to finally get full custody of my child - on paper. I have had full custody for 2 years now, but I included the ex on outings and such with our child. I left my ex 2 years ago. Right after that, we went before a mediator and we both signed a document indicating that I would have full custody and they my ex would pay a small amount as child support (although my ex made more, I did not want to push the issue because my ex is VERY sensitive about departing with any amount of money. Well, these funds did not go for child support, but instead, my ex used then to pay less than their fair share of daycare costs. (I know that child support and daycare do not come out of the same Child support "bank". regardless, let's fast forward to two years later. I applied for custody, and my ex's response was that they said they believed that we were in a relationship until they received a copy of my application. In their reply, they even stated that we had intimate relations. Holy cow! My lawyer tells me that this is some attempt at trying to avoid having to pay any retro support (2 years worth). Now, this person hasn't been to my home in more than a year, never came to any of my family functions (birthday's, bbq's, and so on), if we were together, it was never without our child being there (we did do some activities with our child together). Actually I had a one year relationship with someone, and then I developed a problem whereby - for now - any intimate relations would be painful until surgery. Furthermore, I registered on an online dating site twice during this two year period ( I have the receipts for this too). So, does my ex have a leg to stand on? Child support is Child support and we have been living apart for 2 years, so that amount is still owning correct?
      Your infinite wisdom on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
      I don't think it matters whether you and your ex had "intimate relations" or not (yech! Who puts that kind of stuff in a legal document??). If you have a document from your mediation with a date on it, and you've lived separately since then (can you prove your residence with bills or other addressed mail?) then you're separated.

However, my understanding is that it's very difficult to get retroactive child support unless the other party withheld financial information from you or there were other extraordinary circumstances. The court will want to know why you didn't do anything about it for two years after you agreed that your ex will pay only a small amount. If this is the first time that you've brought up the question of CS with your ex, you can probably get him/her to pay the full amount going forward from the date you proposed it, but I think it would be challenging to get retroactive payments.

But I'm not a lawyer and could be completely wrong.

Comment

so you basically signed that you got full custody in return for your ex not having to pay full CS? Why the mediator said that was okay is beyond belief.

I am not sure if you would be able to get retro as you were basically ok with it for the last two years. Now that you want it official, (after letting status quo build up) you finally ask for full CS and retro on top of that. Its like agreeing to something, getting what you want out of it, then not living up to your part after the other person has.

To me the custody should be reopened (if I understand it correctly that you traded CS for full custody) now that you want to change the terms. At the minimum go for proper CS going forward and drop the retro claim.

Comment

Yes, We both have separate mortgages and separate bills.
          My ex had some financial issues with a large line of credit and having the need to sell their house. They had offers, but things fell through for one reason or another. They told me that that was all that they could pay (although I didn't question any of my ex's little luxuries and trips that my ex treated themself to). Basically, until my ex's main asset - the home - is sold, they will be in a pinch.

Comment

From the sounds of it he was paying s7 but not cs. Do you have emails or any other written correspondence where he outlined the money for s7 (daycare)? That will be your best proof that he hasnt paid cs.

As for the other stuff, I think (and I could be wrong) you could be boinking all the time but if he was living separate and not paying his ordered cs then hes still on the hook.

His lawyer is a bottom feeder if hes using that argument. God.

Comment

My ex's house goes on and off the market a couple of times in the last year alone. Maybe they are not interested in selling I think? If I was that desparite, I certainly would lower the price for a guaranteed sale.

Comment

The ex doesn't pay any S.7 either. I get.... "no money".

Comment

And when I say outlined, i get the impression he told you the daycare funds were to be paid with the money he provides yes?

Comment

Ok so hes paid nothing in two years? Do you have any correspondence where you have asked him over the two years?

Also, has he provided an financial disclosure and was there a clause in your agreement for annual exchange of info?

Comment

All the other stuff is irrelevant. Did they pay the daycare provider directly?

Comment

Nothing written (my ex doesn't like to have things in writing), but I have a few recordings (voice).
                        The mediator letter only talks about who has custody and a little cs to be paid at that time because my ex could not afford more due to their spending habits/lifestyle.
                        The money supposidly for cs was paid directly to the daycare.
                        My ex doesn't share anything about finances with me. Like I said earlier, they don't like to share anything about their money.
                        I do have a few email where my ex goes on about money. But realistically, CS is a payment owing to the child of the relationship. My understanding is that retro amounts are owed no matter what.

Comment

I think your understandings are wrong. You agreed to a lower amount and now want to go back on your agreement. As other posters have stated you will get full CS going forward but doubtful you will get retro when you agreed (and have a mediator's letter) to lower CS. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Comment

He wasnt paying cs though guys. He was paying for daycare is what Im understanding.

Definitely file for support officially and for financial disclosure.

Comment

Agreement doesn`t state anything about exchanges of info (financial).
                              No correspondence, but a few email about my ex`s financial distress.
                              Every time I brought it up in writing, the ex never responded in written form. Always a verbal sob story about undue hardship and ``Ì don`t have two pennies to my name.`` That, and my ex`s temper regarding money borders on ridiculous.

But, to answer my question, 2 years of no CS - it`s money the ex owes to my child and not to me. I`m certain I would direct a big chunk of that towards my child`s RESP. (I do make regular small contributions and have done so since my child`s birth, but my ex has not. Actually, about 500 the first year, and then never again after that. My ex`s reason: No money. But the ex has money to have more shoes than I do, a big watch collection, lawn cutting service in the summer and snow blowing service in the winter. (I do it all myself to save $$$). Money seems to appear for my ex when they want to go on a trip (personal) or need to get new winter boots.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X