Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Direct Communication to opposing lawyer allowed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Communication to opposing lawyer allowed?

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with how long this process is taking. I am being sued by ex-gf for unjust enrichment. I would like to communicate directly with her lawyer but am represented as well and would not like to part ways as this litigation is taking place in another province. They want to do discovery and I have provided all the facts and I would like to ask them what else they need from me. Can I talk to the opposing lawyer and still keep my own. Thanks.

Originally posted by bjm44 View Post
    I am becoming increasingly frustrated with how long this process is taking. I am being sued by ex-gf for unjust enrichment. I would like to communicate directly with her lawyer but am represented as well and would not like to part ways as this litigation is taking place in another province. They want to do discovery and I have provided all the facts and I would like to ask them what else they need from me. Can I talk to the opposing lawyer and still keep my own. Thanks.

Some lawyers are 'funny' that way in that they probably would not appreciate you communicating with the Ex's lawyer yourself. Chances are Ex's lawyer will refuse to deal with you directly knowing you are represented.

Comment

You'd have to talk with your own lawyer to see what arrangements he'd accommodate. In some cases, people retain a lawyer only for advice, not representation i.e. you get advice from your lawyer, get them to review stuff, but YOU do all communication with your ex and their lawyer, and YOU file all court documents, and YOU speak for yourself in court.

Comment

In my experience, the opposing lawyer will refuse to discuss anything with you if they know that you have a lawyer. Your own lawyer may also take issue with it. As difficult as it is, you often have to just wait it out and let the process play out. They are likely insisting that there is more information with the hopes of pressuring you or they are out on a fishing expedition. Keep your cool and ride it out and try not to let it phase you.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X