Should use fro or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should use fro or not?

Now that have an actual agreement not sure if I should use fro/men or not. Obviously if ex doesn’t contribute to coat do raising kids then I would, but if does contribute then not sure if should or not? What are the pros and cons?

Pros are you don’t have to deal with your ex. Cons are if things change and your ex disagrees to changing them then you have to go back to court.

Comment

Originally posted by denbigh View Post
      Now that have an actual agreement not sure if I should use fro/men or not. Obviously if ex doesn’t contribute to coat do raising kids then I would, but if does contribute then not sure if should or not? What are the pros and cons?
      Good example of a woman's problem in divorce!

Comment

Definitely YES!!! That's what its there for. Its avoided, at least for me, the "pay you when I can". Or "I am short this month".
        Last edited by kate331; 09-05-2018, 07:48 PM.

Comment

If you are the support recipient, there is almost no good reason to not use FRO. It is not even close. The argument of how it is difficult to change is not even accurate, as long as both parties agree it is fairly easy to change the amount. And, if the other party doesn't agree, it is not like they would have agreed without FRO either .

The only possible reason to avoid FRO is that they send some very mean-sounding correspondence to the support payor, which might make the payor unhappy. Some ex partner's value a certain level of amicability in their post-marriage relationship.

But, that is a small thing. FRO is the way to go.

Comment

IF you are a control freak who wants to keep strings attached to your ex then you will find it difficult to let go and have FRO collect money every month for you..... therefore the answer is pretty simple.

I have had maintenance enforcement collect for me since 2009. Yes there have been some headaches (not due to the MEP but from my ex initiating litigation repeatedly year after year). All-in-all though, money is regular and in accordance with court order. I have no reason to ever discuss "money" issues with ex. That is truly a blessing. I can't imagine why someone would not want to go through FRO, unless that person loves to be contacted frequently with a sob-story about finances. Yuck! MOVE ON!

Comment

My worry with it is how easy it is to change, espcially if the change is not favorable to the payor. the way the agreement is written we are to revisit the amout every year based on taxes. Ex routinely pays the wrong amount, supposed to pay 1812, but instead pays 1800, always rounded down, so it si not off by much. not sure if it warrents FRO.

Comment

FRO works in favour of the recipient. If you have an order and your ex refuses to pay or pays less than the amount then FRO collects it and continues to calculate the arrears that arent paid with interest.

FRO does not work in favour of the payor especially when cs goes down or the recipient refuses to change.

If you are consistently being shorted then file with FRO.

Comment

Best thing I ever did!!! Wish I would have done it sooner. Would have saved a lot of fights and arguments and my ex trying to control me with money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am a recepient and do not use FRO. My first lawyer and current advised me it wasn’t necessary in my case. My ex has set up money transfers to my account every first of the month. Automatic. My ex is a lawyer and knows not to mess with a court order. It works well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma2016 View Post
                      I am a recepient and do not use FRO. My first lawyer and current advised me it wasn’t necessary in my case. My ex has set up money transfers to my account every first of the month. Automatic. My ex is a lawyer and knows not to mess with a court order. It works well for me.
                      What specific disadvantage do you think you would have if you collected through FRO instead?

Comment

No idea really other than having to wait and get the paperwork done and approved.

I may be in a special circumstance than most. My ex is a lawyer and it wouod be shameful and embarrassing for him not to comply with a court order for interim support. Every first of the month he deposits my payment into my bank account.

This is my first rodeo with Family Law. We were married 23 years. It’s been 34 months and working well without FRO.

Comment

Reminds me of an exchange I had the other day with somebody who was logically impaired.

Me: Wearing seatbelts is better than not wearing seatbelts.
                          Other person: Well, I wasn't wearing a seatbelt when I crashed and I was fine.

As a recipient, FRO is far far better than not being in FRO. It is great that avoiding FRO worked out for you, so far, but that is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                            Reminds me of an exchange I had the other day with somebody who was logically impaired.

Me: Wearing seatbelts is better than not wearing seatbelts.
                            Other person: Well, I wasn't wearing a seatbelt when I crashed and I was fine.

As a recipient, FRO is far far better than not being in FRO. It is great that avoiding FRO worked out for you, so far, but that is irrelevant.
                            I’m not worried. And I always wear a seatbelt. Thanks.

Comment

Depends... If you are having trouble collecting then yes obviously. If not, then it depends, I would suggest caution. I just started dealing with FRO as a payor. Their correspondence is brutal, they really make you feel like a criminal, when in my case it's the other way around. My ex is using them sort of like a weapon. Dealing with them definitely piles on more stress onto what is an already stressful situation. They are also draining my bank account, which is the desired effect since I'm tasking steps to right some wrongs in court. FRO is definitely making my life way harder than it should.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X