S7 and work benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S7 and work benefits

Just curious how this works. Say one spouse A is self employed and the ex (B) gets a job with benefits that cover a portion of the child’s dental costs. Both have to pay 50/50.

Can spouse B deduct the amount their benefits pays from the portion they owe? These benefits are not “free” to spouse B who has to pay several hundred dollars per month for these benefits out of their pay which spouse A does not.

Originally posted by Stillbreathing View Post
    Just curious how this works. Say one spouse A is self employed and the ex (B) gets a job with benefits that cover a portion of the child’s dental costs. Both have to pay 50/50.

Can spouse B deduct the amount their benefits pays from the portion they owe? These benefits are not “free” to spouse B who has to pay several hundred dollars per month for these benefits out of their pay which spouse A does not.
    I wonder if the childs portion of the benefits that spouse b pays for is a sec7?

If that was the case then I would think that it would of sort of be like double dipping. They get paid for part of the benefits but then try to to use the entire portion and say that it is their contribution.

To me the fair way is if spouse b isnt being reimbursed for a portion of the paid benefits then they should be allowed to use what their company pays as their portion . They are paying for the entire coverage.

If they are reimbursed for a portion of the monthly costs to cover child then to me all coverage comes off the top then the amount left owing should be split according to whatever %.

In no way am I saying that is the law. I am just saying what I think would be fair. As you know, family law isnt always fair. I am sure more knowledgeable members will know the legal way it is handled.

Comment

What is the cost of individual coverage vs. family coverage?

Spouse B can offer to let spouse A pay half of the difference in cost between the two levels of coverage, then there won't be any arguments. If spouse A agrees to pay half of the difference, then benefits are applied and the net cost is shared equally (or proportionally). If spouse A declines, then the benefits only count for the paying parent.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X