View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 01:58 PM

#1StepMom is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply, Independantgal. That sounds like some experience you had. Don't you just love how your life is held in the hands of judges who, dependant on their mood, make their rulings?

Our last case conference was in closed court as well. The only "spectator" allowed was me, as my fiancé's significant other. Let me tell you, my stepson's mom was not pleased one bit when her entire family (parents, stepparents, grandparents, cousins, siblings) was asked to wait outside. And the dirty looks I received from them, being able to be in the courtroom - as per the judge - I'd rather not describe.

I can completely understand the closed court preference. I just hope that I'm able to be inside this time around as well.

I like knowing that the judge cannot force any rulings, and if the parties don't agree, the issue can go to trial. We weren't aware of this last time, and agreed to things we didn't really want to agree on. I guess the lawyers just wanted to get it done and over with. But here we are going for what's fair... again... and hopefully this time we won't be forced into an unfair situation.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope that we get a sympathetic judge, and not a harsh one like the one you had. No offense! ;-)