Equalization and buyout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equalization and buyout

My ex wants to keep the matrimonial home. I am good with that but I am owed money for equalization and the only way that is financially feasible is if I take the payout in a year in order for him to remortgage in a year with the equity. If this is written in the agreement and he refuses to pay in year what is my recourse? Has anyone done this?

Equalization and buyout

My husbands ex had to pay a second installment a few years after their divorce. There is no recourse. Depending on the amount you could get a small claims court judgement for it and then file for enforcement but even then it is not guaranteed. She paid him but there was a great deal of vitriol over it. He should have taken it at the split date and not waited. All it did was rehash old anger with the kids. The only reason she paid was because she filed a court action shortly after and needed to look good.

I recommend not agreeing to it. You are entitled to that money and if your ex is allowed to keep the asset whole it simply takes away from what you are owed. Yes it will cause animosity and yes perhaps he will have to sell but if cannot afford the asset or to split it then he should not hold onto it. You have the potential to lose your portion of it.

Comment

Just brainstorming here, is it possible to get a lien on the house as part of the agreement?

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
        Just brainstorming here, is it possible to get a lien on the house as part of the agreement?

Husband’s lawyer said no to us. He said to never make this kind of deal as it is unenforceable.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X