This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inheritance issue

I have been in a common law relationship for about 10 years. My ex claims her inheritance money was put into a joint account in which we pay are bills. Her lawyer has now given me a separation agreement he has drafted up saying I must give back her inheritance money.

Question is, assuming she actually did do this, is she legally intitled to get the money back as it was put into a joint account? When this is done does it not become a joint asset? At the same time I did not have any influence on her with respect to where she spent her money. For all I care she could have taken an amazing world vacation or something. Why would I need to pay this money back to her upon seperation?

My understanding is that an inheritance is indeed considered a separate asset. However in order for it to remain that way it must be kept separate. If the inheritance money is deposited with other funds in a joint account and there is co-mingling of funds then the moneys become all joint assets.
    I will although add a caveat that the above applies in a marriage situation. I do not know if it is the same in a common-law scenario.

W50

Comment

http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcsc/doc...04bcsc969.html

I couldn't find much by way of case law on this kind of issue; however here is one worth reading to educate yourself on how the asset splitting decisions are made.

Good luck

FL

Comment

Thanks those cases are excellent examples.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X