No announcement yet.

Divorce reopened after 10 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He has also had two new partners that is no longer with him. MEPS told me one was supporting him. Why is he not going after them for money is beyond me.

Comment

I would be inclined to respond back to his lawyer and ask-

"I may have missed this- but could you please tell me what section of the family law rules allow you to serve me by email without my consent?"

Comment

I did and she told me that email is accepted in all Canadian jurisdiction; however, I know in Nova Scotia it is not unless you have an Order for Substitute of Service and even then it is questionable.

At no time, do you have to fill out a paper saying you have been served.

Comment

Now, his lawyer, who is obviously not that bright, mailed it to me. I checked the Alberta web page and that isn't considered personal service so I am sending it back. So now it will probably come by registered mail which I will not be picking up. He is in Alberta and I am in Nova Scotia. I feel like they are trying to shove something down my throat.

I am done with this. I guess if this lawyer that is abusing me because he is giving the instruction gets an Order, I will get three certified copies and try to have it changed in Nova Scotia.

The divorce was finalized here and I don't understand how this woman can do this but whatever - I am done with it because it isn't worth the stress and I have a much better life away from him and his threats.

Comment

His lawyer is being paid by him to do this. It may not be right but he is taking the chance. Its no different than Arabians ex filing a motion every year to stop payment. Even when he was told no several times.

Comment

Cool. Well I am not being paid for it later and considering when if he gets off his ass, he makes 3 times what I do, I am not paying SS either. I will not be accepting any more communication from her or him.

If she get an order, I will apply to the Court here to vary and if successful, I will send to Alberta.

I am just done with the stress and it interfering with my life.

Comment

I just talked to a lawyer from my EAP plan. They have suggested that I file in Nova Scotia for Nova Scotia to retain jurisdiction so that I may avoid Alberta getting an interim Order against me taking 70% of my pay check.

Seriously is this guy and his lawyer ever going to stop. Guess back in domestic abuse counselling for me. Hope it doesn't cause me to go back to a shelter.

Comment

I'm so sorry for what you are dealing with. My biggest fear is my ex doing the same and looking for financial support years from now. I try not to think about it because it causes me panic attacks. I have enough going on with my case still ongoing 7 years now. I see no end in sight effen blood thirsty lawyers. Stay strong. The
                  The money he will make you burn. I am so angry for you. Consult with a few lawyers and see what they suggest. I know in my case I've been told I show I have means to pay him SS by what little I have sitting there from equity of the sale of my home. There is not much there and my lawyer is eating it anyway. So don't show money sitting there that he will want his grubby hands on.

Comment

I have a deficit and i am in bankruptcy. This is extremely upsetting. By the looks of it he didnt disclose properly. I will apply to my Court to retain jurisdiction but because of finances wont be until after the court date.

Comment

Trying to take blood from a stone. If lawyers weren't money hungry assholes, they wouldn't be taking this case. You have nothing to give him but the lawyer is trying anyway. He gets paid and that's all he cares about. Sounds like it will end up in your favour but not without you having to burn money on legal fees to defend. Broken system.

Comment

I dont have money for a lawyer. I have to do it myself. My ex though he needs to be admitted to a mental health facility.

Comment

My ex should be in one also. Is psychotic but can't be forced to get care or take meds. Another broken system. So he keeps himself "disabled" and his lawyer wants me to pay him ss while he sits at home dreaming of pink unicorns. And the system is so effed up I am going to end up paying up, going bankrupt with two small kids to provide for on my own. Yup. The stable, hard working parent gets screwed over. I wish I could self represent. I wish you peace and much success.

Comment

I cant pay it - no money.

This is ridiculous though. The Divorce Act we have to work towards self sufficiency. Why bother if they can come back at you years later asking for spousal support.

Comment

People can take you to court for many things at any given time... repeatedly.

Your situation will end up being handled through Interjurisdictional process. You probably will not set foot in a court room. If process is initiated in Alberta a PROVISIONAL order is sent by court in Alberta to Ontario. Ontario serves you and you will receive a package to fill out your response. Matter is then reviewed VIA WRITTEN SUBMISSIONS from you and your ex to a) agree with Provisional Order, b) request additional information or c) deny other court's provisional order. Then it is sent back to the court in Alberta. It's more of a hassle than anything. There certainly is no need to hire a lawyer to respond. If you can read and write and complete some forms then that will suffice. The onus is on your ex to prove entitlement. You never know, the Alberta court may reject it straight away. The process is long and drawn out. Because no children are involved it will most likely be floating back and forth for years. The lawyer who is hassling you from Alberta is just trying to make a buck. The lawyer will be slapped down and encouraged to read up on Interjurisdictional process. You should educate yourself as well - all information you need is on the internet.

Let your ex throw away money on lawyer.

Comment

The lawyer is requesting to change jurisdiction. She is likely a good enough of a lawyer to get that. Then i will likely have to apply in halifax to get it changed back.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X