Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Natives have to follow CS guidelines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Natives have to follow CS guidelines?

I do agree that everyone should follow the same family court rules...on the other hand she has made out pretty well for herself with the house etc.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star...d-support.html

To be fair, natives argue that they should be governing themselves, so let the native council decide.

Of course, natives should also be paying for their own government services like health care and education, since they don't pay taxes. They are a shining example of a group of people who get to have their cake and eat it.

In fact, they are the wet dream of every right wing Ford Nation wannabe. Low taxes, no cuts to services. Everyone wins!

Comment

I always find it interesting when people state Mr. Hill is a multi-millionaire when in fact he is probably a multi-billionaire.

Beaver v. Hill, 2017 ONSC 7245 (CanLII)
      Date: 2017-12-08
      File number: FS-15-963
      Citation: Beaver v. Hill, 2017 ONSC 7245 (CanLII), http://canlii.ca/t/hp6ss

The order being appealed was done my Justice Chappel. Who tends to writes bulletproof case law. But, I am not sure if Justice Chappel has enough constitutional/indigenous treaty law to make such an order stick. Even with Justice Chappel's attention to detail.

Mr. Hill is the kind of person who has both the fortitude and the resources to take this matter all the way to the Supreme Court of Canda.

Also, I don't think Harold Niman, Sarah Strathopolous, Joanna Radbord and Scott Byers have the chops to deal with someone like Mr. Hill, his legal team and resources. I mean that legal team is made up of the top three family law firms in the country but, they are going to need constitutional knowledge and tribal knowledge.

Considering Mr. Hill's past lawsuits with the government for his businesses he probably has every single one of the countries top private lawyers on that subject matter already on retainer.

As they say... don't bring a knife to a gun fight... Don't bring a family law lawyer to a constitutional challenge / indigenous rights matter.

Chappel's order already touches on the side of almost being racist in the eyes of some indigenous authors and publications have pointed this out. With a federal government desperately trying to build better relationships with the indigenous people it is hard to say what will happen.

Good Luck!
      Tayken

Comment

https://buffalochronicle.com/2018/01...-civic-leader/

Among Indian lawyers, Justice Deborah Chappel’s decision smacks of racial bias. Many even perceive a stubborn drive to rewrite Indian law in such a way that denies previously understood rights, practices, capacities, and responsibilities of Indian communities — while providing almost no rational legal basis for her finding.
        An example of the issues Justice Chappel's order has created.

Comment

I think it will come down to on-reserve vs. off-reserve status.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X