Forged Support Cheques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forged Support Cheques

If a person receives a support cheque and they know it is forged, should it be cashed and hope it will not be verified by the bank?

Why would you make an exception for an illegal activity because it's a support cheque? Would you cash any other cheque knowing it's forged?

What a bizarre question, especially without any context!

Comment

Originally posted by momforever1956 View Post
      If a person receives a support cheque and they know it is forged, should it be cashed and hope it will not be verified by the bank?
      Um, no. If someone gave you a car which you knew was stolen, would you drive away in it?

Who on earth forges support cheques and sends them out?

Comment

MY X. HAS SENT ME FORGED CHEQUES. Being married for 29 years and with him for 32 I know his signature. He had his lady friend send them.
        I have received my support cheques for the year. I know they are forged---a very easy read for me. I emailed my lawyer and his assistant wrote me back that it is not my job to report forged cheques. I was instructed to cash them. I am totally not comfortable with this. Should I challenge it?

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
          Why would you make an exception for an illegal activity because it's a support cheque? Would you cash any other cheque knowing it's forged?

What a bizarre question, especially without any context!
          Not often do we agree--but I do agree with you. I have reported this to my lawyer and have been instructed to cash them. I am not comfortable!!!!

Comment

MY X. HAS SENT ME FORGED CHEQUES. Being married for 29 years and with him for 32 I know his signature. He had his lady friend send them.
            I have received my support cheques for the year. I know they are forged---a very easy read for me. I emailed my lawyer and his assistant wrote me back that it is not my job to report forged cheques. I was instructed to cash them. I am totally not comfortable with this. Should I challenge it?
            That's really weird! Surely he would notice something if the money came out of his account?? Perhaps the lady friend is more financially responsible than your ex!

One possibility: email your ex (or send an email via his lawyer) asking him to confirm that he did indeed write these cheques, because the signature looks a bit odd. You could make it sound like you're just trying to make sure all the details are right ("Sorry to bother you about something pretty trivial, but I noticed ...") without using the word "forged". Either he says yes, he did write the cheques (so go ahead and deposit them, you've done your due diligence) or no he didn't - in which case, he needs to send you some real cheques).

Comment

I am pretty sure he instructed her to do so.
              He is very aware that he has to give me these cheques, so I doubt he will admit they are forged, if he admits to it, then where are my cheques?
              My concern is if they are verified at the bank, they can and will be returned. I was shocked at the legal assistant when she wrote me and said it was not my concern, cash them!

Comment

If the lawyer's office directed you to do something illegal, you have an obligation to report it.

As for the cheques, you can return them and request new LEGAL ones.

Comment

I'd simply contact the RCMP in the town that he lives in, tell them of your concern, and fax a cheque to them. Upon receipt they will go to his home/work and ask him if he endorsed the cheques.

Maybe he had a lobotomy and has changed his signature.

Whatever happens you have a police report and if you are told the cheques are good to cash then this won't backfire on you down the road.

I would be cautious as I realize the cheques you are about to cash are likely more than what many people make in a year.

Comment

Does the ex have signing authority on the account the cheques come out of? If your ex gave you those cheques then he must know she wrote them. When my partner was still writing cheques yearly, they came out of our joint account and I wrote out all the cheques for him because I had the spare time when they were due. She got her money every month and never questioned why. Now I never signed his signature but why not take them to the bank and ask? Seems silly to get the cops involved if your ex gave her permission to do so. I agree that an email to the ex would be the best way to handle this.

Comment

You get the cops involved because you are protecting yourself from being sucked into Fraud over 5,000.00. This smells of a nasty ploy by the ex to me. RCMP in BC and Alberta frequently investigate these sorts of things (fraud). She could also go through her bank but that would take many, many months of investigation and meanwhile her money is held up. Going through the RCMP would likely expedite matters and she will know if she has to have her lawyer chase down new cheques. RCMP and the bank would be very interested to know if her ex is doing this with other funds.

Also, getting the RCMP to do her inquiries saves her money spent on lawyers.

Comment

BTW - the important thing is the signature. Anyone can write cheques for you but they can't endorse the cheque for you. Before you do anything be 100% certain that the signature is not his.

Comment

It is quite possible that the ex instructed the g/f to prepare and sign the cheques on his behalf. If the ex did so, he consented to his g/f signing on his behalf, which I believe negates the possibility of any forgery charges.

I'd simply send the ex an email letting him know you noticed the signature on the cheque was not his. That you are going to cash them anyway, as they were likely signed by his g/f on his behalf pursuant to his instructions. That should there be any issue with the cheques being processed because they were not signed by him, that you will advise him of same and request replacement cheques signed by him. And that you will also seek reimbursement for any charges or fees you incur in the process.

Just cash the cheque. Worrying about the signature is making a mountain out of a molehill. Suggesting it is a conspiracy to get you burnt for fraud or forgery is even more out there.

Comment

momforever1956,

If anybody will be getting in trouble over this it would be your Ex and his g/f. If I were you I would simply cash the checks and see what happens. It's not you who is committing fraud (if that is the case).

If it's the matter of ethics that is worrying you - tell yourself that this is money owed to you regardless and you had nothing to do with it.
                            Last edited by Janibel; 05-26-2014, 10:07 AM.

Comment

If you cash the cheque, and it turns out to be fraudulent, be aware that your bank has the right to seize your account.

You should at least speak to your bank about this matter because if the cheque is not cleared through your ex's bank you will be on the hook for any money you spent.

I would be extremely cautious about cashing these cheques.

BTW - knowingly cashing a fraudulent cheque is, in itself, a fraudulent act. If you don't believe me then check with your bank or local police department.
                              Last edited by arabian; 05-26-2014, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X