This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lawyers prefer over phone verses email

Do most lawyers always respond, contact their clients via phone? I never seem to get an emails from my lawyer except for verifications of letters etc and the "I will call you later today"
    Is there a reason for this? I don't understand why an email can't be sent.
    Is it part of their practise/law not offer advise, etc via email?

My lawyer didn't even give me her email address. It saved me $$$.

Comment

Im always mixing up the two:

advice-an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct
      2 : information or notice given —usually used in plural
      3 : an official notice concerning a business transaction

advise-to give your opinion to someone about the best thing to do in a particular situation
      : to give advice to : counsel <advise her to try a drier climate> b : caution, warn <advise them of the consequences> c : recommend <advise prudence>
      2 : to give information or notice to : inform <advise them of their rights>

This is more just for me to hope to get the two straightened out

Comment

I'm having problems just getting my lawyer to do ANYTHING.
        I have written three LONG EMAILS... I need to go back almost begging for an asnwer before I hear anything in return.
        I wonder if all lawyers are this slow and unresponsive?
        If your's at least phones you back, your up one on me. If it is a phone call, there is nothing in writing... makes one wonder...

First time I saw my lawyer was back in July. I went back once to give more information and have her legal aid draw up a letter to be sent. It is now October, no letter sent yet. Maybe that is how slow they all work but man, it's killing me!

Comment

And welcome to the LEGAL RATRACE...expect large bills with ho efforts and a long dragged out process...the longer a lawyer can drag it out the more money they get...and I will tell you as with everyone esle in a family law situation you will pay till the day you die and they will all laugh at you

Comment

My lawyer uses email. I get charged for it, yes. He usually responds within 24-48 hours, many times he has responded in the same day or within the hour. It depends on how time sensitive the matter is.

They usually aren’t long, I find keeping them to a few paragraphs keeps me on track and allows me to be clearer in what I am asking and he is then more likely to answer all the questions. If they are too long, then they have to sift through what you’ve written and try and find something to respond to.
            <O
            I like them because I then have something to refer to when I am trying to understand a certain point.<O

Comment

I ended up sending an email basically stating that I was frustrated, not being informed properly, if lawyer was too busy for my case and that if I don't hear back from lawyer in 48 hours that I will seek other representation. Boy, within a few hours he called.
              Also, if you are owing them, they will not release info to you until you have given another retainer.

Comment

I deal with my lawyer's assistant as often as I can, as it does not cost me as much as it would if I spoke to my lawyer.

My lawyer emails me when she needs urgent reply. I only get the bills in the mail, or general correspondence between the lawyers.

Lawyers do not always respond to their clients in a timely manner. It is just a fact of life. If you do not trust your lawyer, it can be a problem. I trust my lawyer, and she has never let me down.

My lawyer once told me that she will get a hold of me if she needs to. She does not always respond to my emails or phone calls because the issues I am asking are not important, and any reply will only cost me money. She does discuss things with me when we do have meetings, and she will occasionally bring out emails I sent her months before, and discuss them with me at that time.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X