Case conf: how to quickly address lies in her brief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you have that backwards.

When dealing with a HC ex, you push trial. Each conference has a specific purpose and helps your case. If you're pushing trial, you don't delay or agree to adjourn. Quickly go through the steps to get to resolution.

When both parties are on the same page, not really a dire need to resolve and ok with delays, they'll consent to this.

Oddly, the reasonable people who go through the system properly don't have a "big" problem with it. It's always the ones who consent or came to an agreement, not having done through the entire system, who have a big problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillbreathing View Post
      Brampton 33 is spot on. I too have years of experience with the court system due to an unreasonable, high conflict ex. If your case is high conflict then case conferences and settlement conferences are a complete waste of time and money. Stillpaying’s theory is correct in cases where BOTH parties are reasonable and want to settle their matter. If even one party is unreasonable then it only prolongs and escalates the conflict in addition to wasting money
      My ex is a textbook narcissist out to "win" this process, and her lawyer is a textbook negative advocate. So, high conflict.

At a high level, would you (all) suggest avoiding case and settlement conferences as much as possible? Can/should I push for a trial as early as possible? Or does the process require a long slog before trial becomes an option?

To be clear, I have a good lawyer. Just thinking about my long-term strategy and appreciate input from anyone who's in a similar high-conflict situation.

Comment

Court is set up to help get you resolution as quickly as possible. Learn the process, the purpose of each step, and follow it. Deviating from this only causes further delays.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X