Give up kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Where is the Light View Post
    I am now broke (exhausted all my money), running into debt and might have to ask him to raise his kids. I don't even know where I could go to live.
    You give up the kids, you become the payor of child support. Then you will know the meaning of true poverty. You may not be getting "appropriate" amounts of cash from your ex right now, but if you lose the kids the ex could be a multi-millionaire, and you would still have to pay him.

Financially speaking, losing the kids would be a disaster. Since your stress is financial, it doesn't make sense to lose the kids.

Note that I am not considering the best interests of the children here. Your interests are best served by keeping the kids (which is true for pretty much every parent in every situation). It is harder to say where the best interests of the kids may lie.

Comment

WITL;

You have support here as well.

I hocked most of my jewelry in order to be able to buy groceries, pay bills and a few items for the kids. I also cashed out my investments. You do what you need to do. You do what is necessary. I had to and I work full time, so I can only imagine how much tighter things are for you.

I also considered selling everything 'extra' in the house to make ends meet. The food bank is helpful.

It does get better, and you need to keep moving forward.

I know your legal fees are mounting. Talk to your lawyer about a payment plan. I never thought mine would do this based on the agreement I signed, but they did and usually will, especially if you have a solid case.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope that the stress eases for you soon.

If you have no income of your own, legal aide should be able to assist you in your matter. That may be another option...
      Last edited by OhMy; 04-13-2013, 04:16 PM.

Comment

How much CS/SS do you get?

What are the ages of the kids?

Giving them to your ex - if he wanted them you should have 50/50, but he doesn't, so that is not really an option.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X